CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Avet MXJ 6/4 MC for muskie?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avet MXJ 6/4 MC for muskie?
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
I fish for muskie on Lake St. Clair. I do trolling casting and jigging for them and it seems that most fresh water reels just can't take the beating of muskie fishing for very long. The level wind always burns out along with the star drags. I am also looking to use this reel for trips to the ocean. I was researching avet reels and was wondering how well does the MXJ 6/4 MC cast lures 1-8oz? I have heard a lot about the cast control system but does it make a really big difference on preventing birds nests? I plan to match this reel with an ugly stik tiger MH or 7'-9' muskie rod and a travel rod.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 13 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Hi Alex
I have only fished a couple of times for muske but my feeling is that the MXJ would be a bit of an over kill for muske, mainly because it doen't seem like you would need that much line storage capacity. You might look at an SX however. This is a lighter reel compared to the MXJ but shares the same drag. As you probably know however, neither of these reels have a level wind.

One additional thought however, either of these reels is exceedingly well designed and constructed. Using these reels on fresh water it seems like you would get very good and long life of service. If you do have problems Avet is very good for service. Also if needed, at least the single speeds are easily repairable by changing the bearings or drags. (See Alan Tani's webside)

I would probably consider an SX single speed, maybe with a 30 or 50 pound spectra fill with a mono top shot. People use the SX with 40 pound test to fish for yellow tail or albacore here.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 18 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Do you have the time / desire to perform maintenance on your reela? Don't be afraid to learn, I do mine and just don't "Over grease" and do it in a relaxed and well lit, un-interupted environment. It takes some patience and some study, but there are many who do this at tackle shops and of course at the factory, Are these people any different than you or I , so that we can't learn how to do repair maintenance etc.?? Give it a try at least.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I really think that you should look at the Penn 310 gti. Great saltwater level wind-built far better than most fresh water reels. Under $100.00, too!

Posts: 771 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
But the 310 doesn't cast well at all. The MX MC would be great if you can deal with no level wind. Maybe over kill, but no more heavy than say an Ambassadeur 7000.

Posts: 288 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SDTuna09
posted Hide Post
IMO...

Avet with it's casting system makes for a mean Muski reel for live baiting suckers or throwing large plugs or bladed spinners.

SDTuna

Posts: 248 | Registered: 05 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
What happens when you catch a muskie?

sweet charity

Captain
posted Hide Post
You muskie wind reelie hard!!! KIE$ KIE$

sweet charity

Crew
posted Hide Post
I ended up going with an Avet JX raptor and the reel works great. This reel had more line pickup/crank so I can burn lures in or slow roll them in if they are high resistance baits. Having the 2 speed option was also another great investment. I have been landing some great fish on this reel trolling, and with live bait. The fall jigging season starts here soon so this reel will be getting a big workout then for muskie jigging.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 13 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post