CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Toro Tamer Lin Cap Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toro Tamer Lin Cap Question
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
I am looking to run the 100# Toro Tamer line on my Avet Pro 30W Reels. I have then spooled with 60# Berkely Big Game, and want to run 250 Yards of the Toro tamer on Top before the LEader. My goal it to use it for Giant Grouper/Cabrilla in Baja. I don't want to waste the existing line, since it has only been fished once. I should only need 100-150 yards per reel, b ut will use the 500 yards spool split between the 2 Avets.

My Question is: How many yards of 60# BG to strip off to make room for the 250Yards of Toro Tamer 100# 16 strand Braid?

We we lucky last Trip and caught one ginat Cabrilla of 35-45 Kilograms with an Avet 4/0 wide with 100# PP, and a topshot of Izor 80#.
The other Cabrilla were more like 12-15Kilos.
The Pangeros tell me that August and September is the Time to go fishing for them. Their personal best was 3 years ago, and 190 Kilos/ 418# on a Handline!
Thanks for your Time,
Greg

Posts: 19 | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Greg I think you may be thinking of some other fish other than the Cabrilla. The IGFA only has one world record for the Epinephelus Analogus/Spotted Grouper A.K.A. Cabrilla and it is no where near the size your talking about. The WR is 22.31 kg (49 lb 3 oz). I have caught many Cabrilla and seem many more as I have been fishing the Sea of Cortez for over 30 years and not one has came close to the sizes your talking.

Here is a picture of the WR Cabrilla

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Your plan is to run the 60# mono behind the 100# braid? Why? What's the application, trolling, live bait, jigging???

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1572 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
The fish we caught the Pangueros referred to as a Cabrilla, not a Mero. They use the term Cabrilla, to mean some kind of Grouper, not a particular species. They also speak of Mero, and Mero Prieto in Spanish for others. I can try and email you a pciture if you like.

My plan was to just use the remaining 60# mono of the Reeel as filler. I don;t think I'll need it for the bottom fishing we will be doing. It will be less than 300 ft deep at most. I'll probably have the Drag set for max pressure of 40-45# at Full. I'm going to use Hayabusa, Charlie brown, or Gamakatsu Big eye Circle hooks. We'll be fishing from a dead boat, so powering away from structure won't be the first option. As long as I get the Fsih 30-50ft up from the bottom, the rest should be fine in Low gear.
Do you have any suggestions?
Greg

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Chark, end me a PM and I will send you and Emial with the pictures. I looked around and my best guess is the Fish was a Broomtail Grouper.
The Tail was split and extra long, the coloration doesn't match exactly, depending on the pictuires you look at. I seem to recall the Hinge of the Jaw was slightly Purple in color with come Yellow around it. I guess the best way it for you to check out the Pictures.

I am trying to get back down there in September of this YEar to catch some more. The Pangueros tell me that a bad day is catching 3-4 of them, and a good day is 8-12 that size or better. If I caught a really big one like they did, 418# or so, I'd probably let it go. It would make a great Picture, still in the Water. I don't think it would be good to get it in the Boat
if you plan on releasing it.
Thanks,
Greg
I am waiting for my Order to arrive, so I can start getting the rest of my Tackle together.!

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
You can reach me by email, use the link at the bottom of each page of the CB website. I'm down there, click the button and your email server should pop up my address & email. Interesting fishing down there!!!

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1572 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post