CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Rigging jigs for SoCal tuna
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rigging jigs for SoCal tuna
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
On my vertical jigs, and flatfalls, how should they be rigged? How many hooks, 1 or 2? Should I have assist hooks at one end, or both? Should the flatfalls be tied from the wide end, or skinny end? How should these things look when I drop them in the water? Jeff

Posts: 7 | Registered: 26 November 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Any opinions, anyone? I've recently read (PCS)to remove the assist hooks, and install a large siwash hook. Evident that I need more info to fish these effectively.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I fish mine with a single siwash for school tuna and bottom fish. I've seen people leave on the assist hooks and add a large treble. I think it really depends on your personal preference. But I will say this: The assist hooks and cord that come with Flatfalls seem pretty flimsy to me.

Posts: 279 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Ok, this might sound stupid, but which end is which. There is a fat end and a skinny end. Which end takes the siwash hook, and which end takes the line tie? And is it safe to say that I should remove the assist hooks, or should they oppose the siwash hook? I ask so my $20 investment does its job correctly.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Put the hook on the fat end, and tie your line to the thin end. Watch how it flutters when it falls and you'll see why fish like Fa\lat Falls, Squish jigs and the rest.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
You can leave on the assist hooks if you want, but I don't.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Bluefin got some attention with the slow pitch type jigs. Bluefin's teeth can be a problem with some assist hooks, and with smaller jigs they can be swallowed. So, many will rig heavier leader to the jig as well as upgrade the assist hooks to a heavier braid test or go wire on the assist hooks (Owner makes and they are not so hard for an angler to rig up with single strand wire or short cable.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1444 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post