CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    40#Test Reel mostly for tossing iron but some bait too
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40#Test Reel mostly for tossing iron but some bait too
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I have the following reels and intend to cut down. I don't do a lot of fishing these days but my son-in-law has purchased a boat and I expect to do quite a bit more fishing out of San Diego.

Newell 440
Penn 4/0 with Accurate frame and side plates (nice reel but slow and heavy)
Penn 4/0 with Tiburon frame (same as above)
Penn Squall SQL25N (use this for 30# it really casts nicely)
I also have a couple of Calcutta 400's which I love for 10-12# and a Calcutta 700 which I don't like at all because it is too wide for me to use comfortably. I am definitely going to dump this.

I also have a plethora of 20-30# test reels some of which (two small jigmasters with Tiburon frames) might be used as iron tossing reels. Along with a Newell 332 reduced to a Penn 99 size with a Tiburon kit (my favorite light bait reel).

I won't be doing any long range fishing (I am in my mid 70's)but will take a few trips down to Rancho Leonero on the East Cape (next trip this August).

It's that time in my life that I need to think about reducing the "stuff" that I own. I won't be around forever. I am thinking that I could replace the Newell and the two 4/0 reels with a Diawa Saltist Lever Drag 2-speed, probably the 35 size. I like the size of the Saltist and the fact that it is supposed to cast well...

Does that seem reasonable? Or would I be better off with a star drag for tossing iron? However, I do like the thought of a two-speed reel too!
I will purchase the reel from Chark!

Finally, I have an older Penn Intl 50 single speed and a Penn 15kg which I am going to get rid of. I replaced these with a Shimano TLD 30 wearing Spectra with a 50# topshot.

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about the newer reel designs is that they cover more ground and have more flexibility. The 35 size is about the same as a Newell 332, but line capacity given new materials, Super Braid as backing, allows the smaller reel with better drag capability to deal with a broader range of line classes. So, I'd say you are on solid ground. Avet's JX is another wonderful reel to consider. Not too big to fish 30#, and plenty capable of fishing 40 very, very well, and even bumping up to 50 in a pinch.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1354 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
I am running the Avet JX Raptor which is 2 speed and has magnetic cast control for 40lb bait & jigs on 1.5-5 day trips. The magnetic cast control is a Godsend on lever drag reels. I can dial it in and throw my light bait or heavy jig as hard as I can and don't get even one coil of line backed up.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I decided that I would upgrade my reel collection to add a 30# class reel for mostly bait with a bit of iron included. I opted for an AVET MXJ Raptor. I like the size and weight and with 65# Spectra with a top shot of 30# mono, it should do me for much of my fishing. I mounted it on a custom Calstar 270-8H...

My light baitstick is an 8-ft Lamiglas with AFTCO Lightweight Roller Guides. I use 15# test on a Shimano 400 Calcutta...

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I also got an Avet two-speed, MC, JX (non-Raptor) for my 40# outfit. I do really like the way the Avet reels cast.