CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Rod to pair with Avet EX Pro 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rod to pair with Avet EX Pro 30
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Need some help on what rod to match with the Avet EX Pro 30. I'm building it; was thinking a Calstar GF7455xxh, with 5 Aftco wind on roller guides. The reel will be filled with 100# hollow braid with 80# wind on leader. Haven't decided on narrow or standard width. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Steve Garrison

Posts: 6 | Registered: 03 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
What's the application, bait, jigging, trolling? Different applications require different rod. From what's posted, use of windon leaders, I'm thinking your plan is bait rather than trolling, but the rod mentioned is really more a dedicated trolling piece. Please provide a bit more info regarding application and I and others can put in our own 2 cents.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1287 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Mark, I'm planning on using the outfit as a bait rod on longer long range trips; 7+ days. I'd like a rod that will work with the 30 but would accommodate a 50 later on, if that's possible (and wise. Wrapping another stick is not a problem). Yes, wind on leader. The 7455xxh was just a first thought. It's been a while since I've been able to do longer trips and back in the day the shorter rods seemed more popular. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Steve Garrison

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Mark may have a suggestion, but this is what I think: Any rod for the 30 that also works for the 50 won't be very good for either. For the 50, you'll likely be fishing 130# and a rod to match, a Seeker 2x4 (or equivalent) at the minimum. That rod will work on a 30, but if I wanted a rod to cast with the 30, I'd want something lighter than the 2x4. As for length, it seems that just about everyone is using 7' or 7'3" rods these days.

Posts: 258 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks, ak. Cruising the web, I have noticed the trend to longer rods. I appreciate your suggestion and will look at the 2x4 for a future 50. Usually prefer Calstar but I'm open to other brands, if they're quality. Heard some rumors that Seeker aren't what they used to be.

Steve Garrison

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Seeker isn't what they used to be but the 2x4 is still is a great rod -- especially if you can find a used one. Mark has some other brands that are probably better than the new Seekers.

Posts: 258 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks. You said next size down from the 2x4 would be better for the Avet 30. That would be the 1x3. Looking at Calstar, the GF770xh seemed comparable to the 1x3. Any thoughts on that blank?

Steve Garrison