CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Halibut Tackle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Halibut Tackle
 Login/Join

Crew
Picture of Combat vet
posted
can anyone offer some good advice on what tackle works or tackle to tryout.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 26 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
CV it's a broad subject.

If you are refering to California halibut I've fished them with 8# spinning gear up to 30# class conventional gear.

A lot depends on how/where you intend to fish them.

I fish California butts here in the Eureka area and I favor a Seeker Black Steel 196-7 with a Newell 220-5 and 15 pound line and have taken fish up to 30 pounds with it.

Keep in mind this is boat fishing and it's a shallow sandy envoronment and depths of 8 to 25 feet. I also toss swim baits and fish them with bait so the gear varies with the tactics.

I also fish the Pacifics and use 80# Power Pro and a Penn 113HN but now were talking a whole different class of fishing.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Like Jan said, Pacific or California butt? Let me know if it's the big girls and I'll help with what I have used and what I'd get today.

When I lived in SE Alkaska my main halibut rig was a 6' 50-60 rod with a Penn 349 on it but I also used a Penn 113H if we were fishing deep.
I prefered 65lb braid (Dacron as Specter was not available then) with 10' 50lb mono topshots. I didn't even know what a topshot was then and I was using them. 65lb is strong enough to land barndoors but has less drag in the water so I could use lighter weights to keep close to the bottom.

Reel,
Any quality mid/low speed reel that will hold 250yds-350yds of 50lb mono (use Spectra though) in Avet (just because I know and use avets, there are many quality reels being built today)I'd sugest a HX, HXL or the discontinued
EX4/0 if you are fishing deeper than 500'.

Rod,
I've been wanting to get a Seeker 660H-6' AR for halibut and think it would work well, again there are rods built by other companies that are of the same quality. Most of my
Alaska fish were caught on "cheep" Diawa rod, including many fish over 6'.

Line,
Spectra, either 65lb or 80lb.

Hooks,
For fishing deep I've gone to large, 16/0-20/0, Mustad 39960 circle hooks. For shallow fish
(under 200') I use a mooching rig tied with 2 10/0 Mustad 92553 hooks.

Weights,
16oz-48oz cannon balls.

Rig a atractor just below your lead, lead on 24"'-36" 25lb mono dropper, and a bait 2' behind the atractor.

Bounce your sinker occasionaly on the bottom but try to keep it 3'-20' above the bottom most of the time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Keta,

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
Picture of Combat vet
posted Hide Post
thanx for the advice but im looking for bait suggestions ie: plastics, squid that kind of advice.

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
For Pacific halibut any large grub or twister tail on a heavy jig head works. Large iron will catch them too.

Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
I fish with either live bait or swim baits

Here's some homework for you...

http://www.swimbait.com/techniques.htm

There will be a test of course as you will be expected to report back with a fish report with pictures.

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Jan,
Are you fishing for California halibut in the bay or in the ocean?

My computer crashed could you send me a link to your your board so I can get back?

Crew
Picture of Combat vet
posted Hide Post
i will be doing both bay and ocean

Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keta:
Jan,
Are you fishing for California halibut in the bay or in the ocean?

My computer crashed could you send me a link to your your board so I can get back?

Pacifics outside the bay and California's inside.

www.humboldttuna.com

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jan.