CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Problem with my Avet Reels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with my Avet Reels
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
When the line is a little loose on a reel, traditionally, I can just place thumb pressure on the spool and pull off the loose line - which most of the time is just a few yards at the top of the spool.
However with my Avet reels (I have a MXJ Raptor, JX 6/3 MC and a SX 5.3 MC), if I attempt to draw off the loose line on the top of the spool, more line becomes loose under my thumb. It seems like the spool itself is revolving despite the pressure on the monofilament.
I have each reel filled with Spectra with a topshot of monofilament in appropriate pound tests.
This is really a PITA and causes me a lot of problems. These are the first reels that this has happened with (but, also the first reels I have filled with Spectra and mono topshot). Should I restrict the spin of the reel using the MC control or is there some other way to prevent the spin of the spool beneath my finger pressure.
When I use a Jigmaster, I would pressure the edge of the spool itself rather than put pressure on the monofilament line to restrict the revolving of the spool.

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Try using your clicker.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1367 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I just realized the problem. I don't remember te line I had loaded as a topshot but, it was a decent brand. However, I stripped off about 50 yards of that line and it had such a memory that it was just like a spring (Or like one of those old "Slinky" toys that were popular in the 50's and 60's.

I am switching line and I suspect the problem may have been solved.

Chark - great idea about the clicker - Thanks...

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post