CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Go to reels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Go to reels
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I am looking for a couple of go to reels. I have narrowed my search down to the following 4 any good points or bad about them let me know.

Avet LX 2 speed
Tiburon SST-8
Accurate Boss 870
Penn 16 VSX

Thanks for any input.

Posts: 35 | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
What are you going to use it for ?

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Mostly surface iorns maybe some light jigging and flylineing for albies and bft

Posts: 35 | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
For what you are intending I'd substitute Penn's Torque 100 or 200 for the 16. The 16 makes more sense for larger mid-grade tuna, marlin, light duty trolling and bait at the rail. With that change in your selection list it's a better comparison. All the products mentioned have their merits and I'd be happey fishing any of 'em. It becomes somewhat personal in the selection process, and subjective. Getting a feel for the reel would help if you are local since you can spin 'em and hold 'em. Really, you are looking at some very good stuff, and all are quite good.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1572 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I would add the Avet JX and Saltist 40 to your list. JX 2 speed if you have money to burn. That extra gear does come in handy.

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
My POV is small boat FLA and Bahamas ...how good it is now...I remember when the choices were: senator black, or Tycoon and you sold your boat to buy the latter...for me in small boat stand up for wahoo, dolphin, sails and small tuna...I have not had any problems with avets, accurates, or penns...and in those yester-years I never had the ugly clunks...the senators ever fail but then I never west coast winched them. Recent experience the SX 2 and 270 both using 50 lb izor full shot and 8 lbs drag and trolling feather and strip and flashdancer...the sx was easier to use for me..caught wahoo to 40 lb and dolphin to 25 lb on both...

Posts: 5 | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Penn 16VSX is too large for what you want to do.
The TRQ200 is probably the best "all around" choice for regular surface iron and small/midsize yo-yo iron like Tady 45's and Sumo C2's.
Line capacity is 250 yards of 50-pound spectra plus a 100-yard tophsot of 40-pound mono.
I prefer a topshot I can't cast off the reel for surface iron.
The TRQ100 is an awesome flylining reel, and also great for smaller surface jigs from the Tady A1 to Tady C size class.
As long as it holds enough line for what you need it is hard to beat for up to 30-pound test topshots.
Line capacity is 200 yards of 40-pound spectra plus a 90-yard tophsot of 30-pound mono or 125 yards of 20-pound mono.
When strictly bait fishing with short topshots, the line capacities are pretty generous.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Surface iron and maybe some light jigging and flylining for albies and what not?

None of those you mentioned are surface iron reels... they're too heavy and/or too big. Go with a 'real' surface iron reel like a Newell 332... or a Daiwa Saltist 40 or Torium 20 or the equivalent Saltiga/Trinidad. The Torques that Steve likes are heavy but built like tanks and cast very good. Any of these will all kill albies all day long too. For albies, a spectra backed Avet SX/MX will catch any albie I've ever seen out of San Diego.

Posts: 166 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post