CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    When should you have 50 size reels?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When should you have 50 size reels?
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
Hey folks,
At approximately what trip length does a 50 size reel become a even a nice to have or need to have item? That being asked, would it be better to skip the 30s and go straight to a 50 as a trolling reel that can be used for heavy bait later? I have an Avet EX 4/2 and a Makaira 30II SE both of which I love. I have read that in this age of braid, a 50 is no longer needed for West Coast tuna fishing; you can do anything you need to do with a good 30W 2 speed and a good XXXH rod. I have also read that in Cow town, 6 Accurate ATD 50s would be entry level. I’m going to put the Makaira 30 on the 2x4 I’m wrapping and have the first part of that base covered. I’m going to do a 660ish XXH as a backup and or rod for me when the big boys come through; my son can use the 7 footer. He’d use a 9 if he could….
Anyway, though I don’t see myself soon on an 18/15 day trip, I’m gearing up for 5 to 8s. Also, the thought of a full quiver for my son, should he get serious long range fever, eases my mind. So again, at what trip length should one be armed with 50s?

Why do fish look at me and laugh?

Posts: 11 | Registered: 26 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
You have greater cranking power on a 50 size reel in comparison to a 30 wide, period. That's my take. If it's a cow trip, I consider the 50 narrow size a basic part of an arsenal. Never a good idea to only have one reel capable of handling the bigger tuna, so a backup is called for. I like the idea of both a 50 and a 30 as a minimum. That way you have a "finesse" piece for say fishing a sardine and a heavier rig for fishing macks. The 50 will offer greater cranking power, physics play into this, spool diameter, gearing, arm length are all factors, and capacity is too. On a 50 narrow you load up 130 braid and have 600 yds or greater capacity. You won't get that on a 30 unless you drop down to 100# for your braid, and I consider 600 yds appropriate rigging for long range cow fishing. There are those who are more aggressive and harder pullers than I, guys who can get out there and grind with 40#'s of drag. I'm more of a 30 pounder (rated on a full spool, and drag will increase as line gets taken off the reel). Typically on a trip of up to 8 days the need for a 50 is minimal, a 16-30 size reel will get the job done and be nicer to fish. But, there are those trips when the big fish are available within that range. We had three or four cows on one of our 8 days a few years back, 280 was the big fish that trip. Also, all fish are not created equally, some pull harder than others. I'd say 10 or more days, good to have the 50 available. And, at say 12 days I'd suggest having both available. On that type of trip, I take 2 50 Avets and one 30 size Tib for my finesse piece. Gear like this is not something you typically put a lot of miles on, so get gear from a good manufacturer who offers good long term parts support should that be required. I'm most comfortable with USA made gear given that consideration. Okuma has some great long range reels, I own a couple of their pieces too and feel comfortable with their long term support. But, there are some firms out there, won't name names but...okay, the bike maker...has an earned reputation for coming out with "new" models and then not supporting older pieces with parts. Built in obsolescence geared towards a replacement. That's not quite fair, not prudent for an angler since a guy might have the chance to go on a cow trip once a year. Doing the math, it does not make sense to buy something, use it 6-10 times, and then not have parts support. I'd say Penn, Avet, Accurate all have some strengths from a long term ownership standpoint. Certainly no reel company can match Penn in respect to taking care of the folks that own their gear long term with parts availability. Avet has earned high marks too. For Accurate, it's the ATD's that fit this class of gear, and they've supported that series well. Time will tell with Okuma, but thus far, given a 5 year warranty, they seem to be on the right track too.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1297 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Thank you Chark. That is precisely the kind of information I was looking for. Since I am looking near term and long term, I will pick up a 50 and get acquainted with it before it is a “need to have” reel. Now the question is which one. Based on the thoughtful info in your reply, I am leaning toward Penn and Accurate. Arghhh. Fish or cut bait… Fish or cut bait…

Condensed quote:
You have greater cranking power on a 50 size reel in comparison to a 30 wide, period. If it's a cow trip, I consider the 50 narrow size a basic part of an arsenal. On a 50 narrow you load up 130 braid and have 600 yds or greater capacity. You won't get that on a 30 unless you drop down to 100# for your braid, and I consider 600 yds appropriate rigging for long range cow fishing. Typically on a trip of up to 8 days the need for a 50 is minimal. I'd say 10 or more days, good to have the 50 available. And, at say 12 days I'd suggest having both available. On that type of trip, I take 2 50 Avets and one 30 size Tib for my finesse piece. I'd say Penn, Avet, Accurate all have some strengths from a long term ownership standpoint. Certainly no reel company can match Penn in respect to taking care of the folks that own their gear long term with parts availability. Avet has earned high marks too. For Accurate, it's the ATD's that fit this class of gear, and they've supported that series well. Time will tell with Okuma, but thus far, given a 5 year warranty, they seem to be on the right track too

Why do fish look at me and laugh?

Posts: 11 | Registered: 26 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post