CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Reel for Calstar GF 665H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reel for Calstar GF 665H
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
I just picked up a Calstar GF 665H with PacBay Stainless Chrome Braced Guides, PacBay Carbide tiptop & Fuji Graphite HD Reel Seat. I'm wondering if it would match up to a Avet HXJ Raptor or a 4/02 EXW. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
That is a very good "old school" rod, that ideally fishes 40-50 pound topshots.
A "narrow 4/0" size reel was the standard choice for many years, and in fact Carl Newell himself originally came up with the narrow 4/0 conversion to fit ideally on that exact rod [back then produced by Sabre].
You seem to be thinking about a 2-speed, but don't specify any kind of price guidelines.
If price is not a consideration, it is hard to beat a Penn Torque TRQ40NLD2 in the premium category, and in the mid-price category the Penn Fathom FTH40NLD2 gives exceptional value.
If 2-speed capability is not a requirement, and especially if harsh party boat abuse may be on the menu, also consider the Penn U.S. Senator US113N.

Posts: 245 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I go along with Steve, and have to admit I like the 4/0 narrow on this rod, too. Old school 113HN seems like a lot of bang for the buck. The 2 speed option is no doubt nicer to fish when there's something larger pulling back. HXJ could also work well, the standard width HX would probably be more balanced - that's the same size as the 113N.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1294 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post