CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    new rods ,setup opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new rods ,setup opinions
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
Picture of dirtynails
posted
suggestions for reel for a seeker 870-7 and for 20-25lb and reel for a seeker 665-6 1/2 for 30-40lb
i have a accurate converted penn 500 and wish to add either a avet mxl or mxj or jx or lx or newell 338.Thanks to all of you who reply.

Posts: 31 | Registered: 28 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I would definatly use that 500 for either rod. What you have to think about is what rod you are going to use for what. For irons or jigging I like high speed. For fly linning and live bait situations I like the 500. but thats just personal preference. i know guys that use high speed reels up till about 40 lbs, then they go to 2 speed.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 19 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirtynails:
suggestions for reel for a seeker 870-7 and for 20-25lb and reel for a seeker 665-6 1/2 for 30-40lb
Your jigmaster will work just fine on the 870 with 25#, and a 113H will work just fine on your 665 with 40#.

If you want to step up to more expensive and higher performance reels, you have a lot of options. It's kinda like performance automobiles in that it's a question of money and how fast do you want to go?

Either way, Charkbait awaits you. Big Grin

Posts: 61 | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I have a 112h on my 665. Great bait rod for 30 lb.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I'm with Agate--665 is a 30lb rod. Newell 332 or Saltist 30 would work great on it.

LT

Posts: 86 | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the MXJ on the 870 for 20-25# and a JX on the 665 for 30# if you wanted new reels for both rods. Otherwise I'd go with the 500 w/30# on the 665 and go for the MXJ for the 870.

Posts: 166 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
Picture of dirtynails
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for an answer from chark on when the new revised avets with the new anti reverse get in
then i will most likely go with the avet mxj or mxl on the seeker 870

Posts: 31 | Registered: 28 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Avets, too-if the money is there. I've caught a lot of albies with a 500 full of 30 and a 665

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
good luck on your travels to find the right setup, for i my self dont really carry or own avets, but from what im gathering , the boys here on charks are very well put in on good info.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Hello D-Nails,

Well, I've got both the JX and the MXJ. Bought the JX first and came to the conclusion that is is over kill for anything 25lb and under. I consequently purchased a MX from the Charkster and am extremely pleased with the change up. Although I have it spooled with 20#, the reel is more then capable for 25lb, in fact, with a spectra backing it would handle 30# with no problem. Would reccomend you do not acquire the MXL as the modest line capacity increase is over shadowed by reduced castability. The main advantage of the MX is that it cast much better, is lighter and more controlable, a pleasure to use. Have delegated the JX to 40lb on my 8'jig stick and some 30# duties as a back up. Have landed a 60 black sea bass(released) on my MX with 20lb.

A lot of equiptment purchase is subjective and the advise in previous posts has high value. If you were tight on funds your present reels are more then adequate. At some point it boils down to the personal worth of the more modern choices.

AS always, my opinion, for your consideration.
Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post