CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Chesapeake Bay Trolling/bait
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chesapeake Bay Trolling/bait
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
All,

I understand its a little out of your typical swimlane but I am gathering opinions. I am looking to put together some setups for the bay that are versatile. I need something that can handle 30-40lb line and perform trolling duty and live lining spots or alewife. Targets are big stripers, redfish, and black drum. I am leaning towards a MXL maybe the G2 series but I am not sure about the rod. Looking for any input on a rod and reel.

Tight lines,
Nick

Posts: 8 | Registered: 26 March 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
For the reel, the advantage of the G2 version MXL/MXJ is significant. Still, the reel really is more of a 30# and down piece than a 30-40 if we are setting the drag appropriately for the line being used. Again, we should be setting the drag for the lightest line on the reel, so your leader selection will influence where you fish the piece. The JX first or second gen gains 40# application but still compact. On either the MXL or JX I'd load 50# braid and then tie off to the leader at 40 or 30#.

For the rod, good to have something that offers a moderate bend. That will help cushion a strike, provide some forgiveness. So, United Composite's Challenger Elite series may be well worth considering. These are typically 7 feet in length. The upgrade C+ build provides nicer handle material (Hypolan) ALPS machined aluminum reel seat - double lock down, and (important for you) a gimbal to help your rod stay were it belongs in the rod holder. All UC's are made here in SoCal, they are not imports.

UC makes other series of rods, too. The Challenger Platinums, while having a much different action, can also cover this use quite well given how robust their build is. The CP's are a 6 ply rod, the CE's a 3 ply - more material and higher cost on the CP's. Going down a notch in price from the Challenger Elite, we have primarily import rods. Actions will typically be faster. That's not necessarily where I like to be when trolling, but you'll save about $100 per rod. Within that realm, look towards Okuma's PCH series rods. Very good construction and components, warranty is great, nice feel to the rods.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1537 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post