CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Spinning Gear for 1.5 day trips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spinning Gear for 1.5 day trips
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
I am thinking about buying a couple of spinning rod and reel combos for 1 - 2 day trips. What would you recommend for 20lb and 30lb set ups?

Posts: 9 | Registered: 26 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Whats your buget? There is a good deal of very nice spinning out now. Some lean to the higher priced angler where only the best will do.

Others fish well and have landed anything you will find up to 4 day trips or longer.

In the later the Penn Spinfishers will handle most anything in the length trips your looking at unless your targeting sharks like Mako or Threshers. For most of the tuna, tails and anything you will encounter on those trips Penn for me would be hard to pass up.

Rods are a whole different thing to me. I like to feel a rod.....sorry that just sounds strange. What I mean I like to have a fishing rod loaded up with about the same amount of pressure I'd be fighting the fish at.

There are several manufactures of rods that will fit nicely with the reels your looking to fish. Calstar, Seeker, Penn, Okuma and United Composite all make great rods but you need to find a price point that works for you and most importantly a fishing rod thats feels good to you. There is no easy way to say this is or that is the best in most fishing gear but with rods that will come down to you, how it will feel to you.

If your lucky enough to have great shops like Charkbait around you you need to visit them, test gear and get whats best for you.

Posts: 404 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
For the 20-pound combo, the PENN Spinfisher SSV6500LL matches with a PENN Bluewater Carnage CARJG3080S66 provides some fun on the typical smaller-grade fish, but has enough muscle to land a 40 pounder if you hook one.
For the 30-pound combo, the Penn Spinfisher SSV8500LL matched with a PENN Bluewater Carnage CARJG65100S64 can handle the heavier 50-80 pound units that are swimming around.
Once they start to get close to 100 pounds or more, the PENN Torque TRQS9 on a PENN Bluewater Carnage CARJG80130S60 would be the ticket as far as spinning tackle, though in party boat situations, a 2-apeed conventional may be preferable for those really big boys.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post