CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Matching rod for the Avet 50 SDS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matching rod for the Avet 50 SDS
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted
I want a "cow" rod to battle the 200 # class fish. I like Seeker Black Steel and am wondering do I go 6'6463xxxh AR or 5.5' 6455xxxh AR ?

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
6463 has the advantage in trying to keep the line from rubbing the hull.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I have about 8 cow tuna rods, including several Seekers. The 6455XXXH is the hardest on you, similar to a 755XXH Calstar.
I use it for a kite stick or set up to 30+# of drag.
The 6463XXXH and XXXXH are about the same. Preference to the XXXXH.
My favorite Seeker is the glass BSC659XXXH. It and the 6463 series bend a bit parabolic. The 659 is easiest on you and built to lift 35# of drag. The 6463XXXH next easiest on you.
All are great for drag settings from 25 to 35#. The XXXXH and 6455XXXH are better for the fish over 250# if you really need to ramp up the drag near the end.

As far as length, it depends on the boat to water distance. Short sticks are no problem on boats like the Excel and Q, and take load off of you.

My all around favorite is the 659XXH.
I don't find any recoil advantage of graphite over glass fishing cows. With that much drag, the graphite doesn't lift better. My least favorite is the 6455XXXH. The plastic sleeve on the factory wrap 6463 models does better overwrapped with butt cord. It's too "Slippy" on the rail stock.

If the options available:
Mount your reel to these rods, get in a harness, and lift 30# with them. That really shows the characturistics of each rod.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I use an acid wrapped Calstar 755XXH. It's a bit stiff, but I like it.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 11 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
Cool

Thank you for the replies.

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post