CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Rod differences
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rod differences
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Picture of decee
posted
What is the difference between so called "stand up", "conventional" , "trolling rods" and "Casting" rods?

Posts: 12 | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between so called "stand up", "conventional" , "trolling rods" and "Casting" rods?

Here is my take.
Stand up = A non trolling rod used mainly for live bait and or jigs.
Coventional = Not a spinning rod. Used with conventional reels not spinning reels.
Trolling rod = Usually a shorter rod with all rollers mainly used for trolling not the best for live bait fishing.
Casting = This can mean different things to different people but in my mind, it is a rod with a faster tip to aid in the “load up” of the rod with live bait or lures to assist in casting distance. I also hear the term used to describe spinning rods mainly by people that cant cast conventional rods and reels.

Posts: 387 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Interpretations can vary. Here's my take:
Stand-Up - primarily rod/reel in the hands rather than fighting a fish from a chair with rod in the holder.
Conventional - Style of reel, non-spinning format, baitcaster, can range from little bass reels up to the 130 class gear.
Trolling Rods - can be stand-up style with grip material on the aft section or make use of "uni-butts." Primarily they'll be in the rod holder until you've got a bite. Then they may or may not be moved from the holder into your own hands to play the fish.
Casting Rod - something capable of tossing a lure or bait. These can be made to be used with spinning or conventional gear, bait or lures. Typically 6 feet or greater in length.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Picture of decee
posted Hide Post
I should have asked what a boat rod is as well

Posts: 12 | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post