CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Conventional guides vs. all roller or some roller
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conventional guides vs. all roller or some roller
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
What are the appropriate applications of conventional guides, all roller guides, & mixed conventional & roller. Advantages or dis advantages of each style. Thanks

Posts: 18 | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Conventional ring guides are lighter, cheaper and cast better than rollers. They come in stainless rings and several grades of ceramics. The fancier ones cost like rollers!

I go with all rollers for 50# and above (my 50# yoyo rod has rings). They have less friction on the line during the longer fights with heavier drag. Best for that give and take when the line is going out then coming in under a load. For lighter lines, the ALWR (AFTCO Light Weight Rollers) are both light and cast good. I have them on a couple of my lighter bait rods. They're good for up to 30# line.

RS/RT are a compromise. The tip and stripper guides are where most of the friction occurs so you cut down on guide cost while still getting some of the benefit of rollers. Basically the only reason to go with this option is cost.

Posts: 164 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark T. that was very helpful Smiler

Posts: 18 | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post