CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Marquesa MA30 and 30II
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marquesa MA30 and 30II
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I want to fish one of these models as a dedicated stand up monofilament 50 lb bottom reel. According to this website the MA30 can hold 365 yards of 40 lb test. If I load 50 lb test how many yards do you think I will be able to load? Is 50 lb test beyond the limits of this reel for what I want to do? While I prefer the lower (more torque) cranking ratios the M30A is only available as a high speed option. Does this present as a negative in bottom fishing? The MA30II offers both cranking ratios (high for speed and low for torque) but can only hold 320 yards of 30 lb. Is loading 50 lb test on this reel pushing it, in your opinion?

Posts: 33 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
You've got the drag to handle 50# fine. You can also make use of braided lines, and we have that included in our offers, to gain the capacity you might require. Use the braid as a backing, say 65# at about 300 yds and you will have room for a decent length topper. So, size isn't an issue for your application and test requirement. Always nicer to fish a smaller reel if the drag and capacity are there, and in this case it is.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1518 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark! One of my goals is to find a reel that is lite, can handle 50 lb monofilament and give me decent capacity, some where around 250 - 300 yds. I don't fish braid and many of the headboats in the Keys don't allow braid for their own reasons. You know a little knowledge is dangerous because I have now found out about the union of Makeira and Tiburon via your infomercials. Nicely done and thanks! So I am now looking at those offerings. Allans write up posted on this forum (and all the photo's)was so good it made me re-think about everything. I have to tell you that the Special Edition 2 Speed Makeira are not making this any easier for me. Who knew such engineering was available! So I continue to evaluate both product lines and hope to make a call when I feel I am knowledgeable to do so!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tim,

Posts: 33 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post