CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Matching Rod and Reels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matching Rod and Reels
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
I am active duty and I have been stationed everywhere from Guam-Hawaii-New England-Maryland so doing more with less is in my blood. I have put together some rigs and I was looking for some recommendations to improve or maybe make a change. I am also interested to hear your thoughts of using these setups for slow pitch jigging.

1. Ahi Assassin 300 power jigging paired with an AVET Raptor HX 5/2-MC w/ 100# 16 strand toro tamer.

2. Shimano Trevaly TVC-66MH with an AVET Raptor JX 6/3-MC w/ 60# 16 strand toro tamer.

Separate note: I am interested in a recommendation for a versatile bait set up. Something around 80# but I could class the leader with wind-ons. I have had great experiences with AVETs and open to any rod recommendations.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 26 March 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Those two sound like great setups for the bigger jigs, the slow pitch jigging is a very productive form of fishing and it seems to be growing in popularity in the US now which is nice to see. The HX is a nice tall reel which is what a lot of the guys doing that style of fishing prefer, and paired with the 300g Ahi Assassin jigging rod it would be a pretty sweet setup. The technique originated in Japan and it's funny to see that over there for the big jigs they've adopted a lot of the American lever drags, HX's, HXJ's, Accurate Valiant 800N's and 600NN's have pretty much taken over the higher end heavy jigging apart from some of the Marfix reels.

As far as a bait setup for 80# it's all about what you want to be doing with it. If you're going straight braid, maybe 100# an HXW Raptor would do the job well for live bait and chunking. If you're going to be doing more of the trolling then it might makes sense to move up into the EX's just for the extra durability, but as far as a versatile 80# the HXW is a good way to go. The rod again will depend on what you want to be doing, the RCX 54XO or 40XXH would make some sense if you're doing a lot of trolling and harnessed standup fishing. Otherwise UC makes some longer 7' rods such as the challenger platinum RCP 70XH or challenger extreme RCX 70 Centaur that could apply more pressure to fish if you're doing more standup or rail fishing.

quote:
Originally posted by Fishaholic:
I am active duty and I have been stationed everywhere from Guam-Hawaii-New England-Maryland so doing more with less is in my blood. I have put together some rigs and I was looking for some recommendations to improve or maybe make a change. I am also interested to hear your thoughts of using these setups for slow pitch jigging.

1. Ahi Assassin 300 power jigging paired with an AVET Raptor HX 5/2-MC w/ 100# 16 strand toro tamer.

2. Shimano Trevaly TVC-66MH with an AVET Raptor JX 6/3-MC w/ 60# 16 strand toro tamer.

Separate note: I am interested in a recommendation for a versatile bait set up. Something around 80# but I could class the leader with wind-ons. I have had great experiences with AVETs and open to any rod recommendations.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 03 February 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sergey. I appreciate all the info.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 26 March 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post