CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Rods for Avet SX MC & MXL MC Reels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rods for Avet SX MC & MXL MC Reels
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I am looking for casting rods for the Avet SX and MXL reels I just purchased. I plan on putting 25 to 30lbs spectra line with topshot of 20 to 25lbs of fluorocarbon or mono on the SX; and 40 to 50lbs spectra line with topshot of 25 to 30lbs flurocarbon or mono on the MXL. I want to be able to cast live bait, irons and lures...I hope the line is not "overkill." Last year I retired and I treated myself by going on a couple of tuna trips out of San Diego on the Searcher. I had a "blast"!!! I am now hooked on this type of fishing and I am looking forward to this year trips...Any suggestions on the rods for these reels.....

Posts: 38 | Registered: 11 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Calstar 8' 270H DH rod for the SX, perhaps a Super seeker 670 or a Calstar 700L for the MXL. Enjoy your retirement and this years trips.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 15 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
6-7 foot rods, 8 footers are a heck of a time to get a boat spot to put them in. I like the longer rods, but they aren't too accomodating on a crowded sportfisher, 6-7 footers go easily into the holders along the rail. Mostly the roof is too short. You can put them along the bait tank if you are allowed to do so. There are too many good ones, do you ever look at the rod's rated line, weight factory reccomendations? For there on look at the guide rings, one's that won't rust too quickly are best to last. Seeker black steel are a good buy.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for the insight on the rod selection...See ya on the "big water."

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
You really need to pull on some rods to see what feels right to you. I like Calstar and in a composite I would look at a 800xlh for 20-25lb test and a 700ml for 25-30lbs. In glass I like the 270 for the 20lb and 670 for 30lb.

You may want to rethink the 30lb spectra I have found it hard to see and work with. If it were me I'd put 50lb spectra on both reels

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Line test should be relative to maximum drag. 35# spectra can go on guess what ? Hint RELATIVE to the reels max drag.,,,,

sweet charity

Captain
posted Hide Post
The Seeker Black Steel G970 is perfect for for fishing 25# for albies... perfect as in you can't find anything better. The Calstar 700ML is the next best thing. The MXL would go well on either of these.

8' rods are fine on the 1-3 day boats and I prefer the 8'ers for 20# and under duties. The SX w/20# would be great on a Calstar 800XLH or a Seeker inshore 808. A Graftech GIS80M or a Shimano Teramar TMC-X80MH would be great too. These days I use these two and sold both my Calstar 800XL's.

Posts: 166 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
My vote is like Socal's-shorter is easier to fight the fish.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Well, I took some of the advice given regarding reels and rods combinations...I finally settled on and obtained two Seeker Blue Lighting series rods...I have my Avet Sx/Mc reel on the BCSW808 rod with the reel having 50lbs braid and approx 200ft of 30lbs topshot...I have my Avet MXL/MC reel on the BCSW708 rod with the reel having 65lbs of braid with approx 200ft of 40lbs topshot. I believe both of these rods have the backbone and toughness to handle the albies later in the year and the Nor Cal salmon I am going after nexts week. I took both items to the park and they both cast wonderfully....Along with the LX 6/3 and HX 5/2 Avet reels both on Seeker rods, I believe I am ready for those long range trips I have scheduled later this year....

While I was getting the line on both reels, the clerk who I have known a long time and who is an avid long range fisherman recommended not to put a large amount (talking about yards) of topshot line on the reels. He indicated the trend now is to reduce the stretch in the mono while fighting a fish. I am curious if anyone has heard of this recently......See ya on the big water....

Captain
posted Hide Post
That is true. You should get used to tying a knot that connects Sectra to mono and also flouro. Roddy hayes or Tony Pena knot. Worm knot. Albright to a Bimimini. Then a uni-to uni knot or seaguar knot to connect mono to flouro. Remember to get some glue (hobby store model racing "tire glue" works). Or Loctite super glue. (Like cyanolite type glue) The technical terminology. Remember to use Spectra Scissors to cut spectra with, They are very sharp and usually look like KIDS SIZE SCISSORS. They will stay sharp if you only use them for spectra, not mono, use Toenail clippers or dikes to cut the mono, flouro line. Practice, practice and test your knots, Get a drag scale, " A fish weighing scale and set up with pulling on the scale with a freshly tied knot and see how strong it is. You can use this to set your reels drag also.You can spend alot of time and money fishing without getting near water or any fish !!!! How crazy is that ???????????

sweet charity