The CharkBoards!
lures for bonita

This topic can be found at:
http://charkbait.evecommunity.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4381010491/m/5171034034

23 April 2008, 06:38 PM
MrTuna
lures for bonita
I have not fished bonita since I was a kid except the incidental baitfish on long range trips. What lures work well for them?

Thanks,

Chad

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.
23 April 2008, 07:01 PM
crown victoria
Flashy, anything that has a hook . These fish are all the great great grandchildren of that ONE THAT GOT AWAY from you ten years ago, see how patience is a virture and now ,if you will, PLEASE EXTERMINATE WITH PREJUDICE !!! BONITA TACOS FOR ALL MY FRIENDS !!!
23 April 2008, 10:27 PM
alex7052
like crown said they bite ANYTHING. i never target them and i have caught them on everything from dines, krocs, salas 7x, swimbaits. i've never fish them on the yo yo or dropper loop though
24 April 2008, 08:50 AM
MarkT
A 1 oz blue and chrome Kroc has always worked for me.
24 April 2008, 09:17 AM
Agate D
Tady Y2 and Braid metal Marauders. A salt water fly tied in a white jighead works great, but is a bit of an effort.
25 April 2008, 10:42 AM
Ol Pedro
Small tuna feathers in white , anything Chrome that isn't too big , Ironman/Salas/Tady/Sumo in chrome or blue/white . Or even a Bonito Feather in White . I catch um on the quick crank/stop and go . We have them here on the East Coast too . When you bleed and ice them they are quite tasty .
28 April 2008, 04:20 PM
Bass_Head
the sumo banana jigs at the shop (im sure they are online too) in the 3/4 oz. iv never had so much fun....no joke.
29 April 2008, 08:07 AM
Walt
Got to agree with Crown V., if its got a hook on it they will hit it. I just wish they grew to weigh 40+ pounds. Now that would be a fishery. 40 pounds of super charged muscle ripping your new Accurate into a pile of shreaded scrap aluminum.

Walt
25 November 2009, 08:06 PM
cdr697
Tady C in blue/white.....I've caught a thousand bonita and barracuda on this lure.
26 November 2009, 04:36 AM
Mr. Skunk
I have always had good luck with the chrome crock. I just used it earlier this week and nailed my limit plus releasing 12 macks. All this in about 20 minutes. They love the shiny metal! Hope this helps.
26 November 2009, 10:48 PM
Agate D
I last posted on this chain a year and a half ago! Hey MrTuna--did you ever get any bonito?
28 November 2009, 09:47 AM
JanZ
Many moons ago we'd hammer the bonito in San Diego bay using a rig made from a small rubber ball about the size of a tennis ball with a piece of brass rod pushed clear through it and bent into "Eyes" then you'd take about 18-24 inches of line and tie a cheap Japanese Bonito feather on the leader (Silver lead 1/2 oz head with red glass eyes and white/red or green feathers).

You'd tie this onto a jig stick and toss it out as far as you could and then rip it back with sweeps of the rod like a popper, the ball would make a slurp/whooshing sound like fish busting bait on the surface.
This would attract the schools of Bonito and you'd get bit a lot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JanZ,

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time