CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    lures for bonita
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lures for bonita
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted
I have not fished bonita since I was a kid except the incidental baitfish on long range trips. What lures work well for them?

Thanks,

Chad

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of crown victoria
posted Hide Post
Flashy, anything that has a hook . These fish are all the great great grandchildren of that ONE THAT GOT AWAY from you ten years ago, see how patience is a virture and now ,if you will, PLEASE EXTERMINATE WITH PREJUDICE !!! BONITA TACOS FOR ALL MY FRIENDS !!!

Posts: 117 | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
like crown said they bite ANYTHING. i never target them and i have caught them on everything from dines, krocs, salas 7x, swimbaits. i've never fish them on the yo yo or dropper loop though

Posts: 4 | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
A 1 oz blue and chrome Kroc has always worked for me.

Posts: 164 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Tady Y2 and Braid metal Marauders. A salt water fly tied in a white jighead works great, but is a bit of an effort.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Small tuna feathers in white , anything Chrome that isn't too big , Ironman/Salas/Tady/Sumo in chrome or blue/white . Or even a Bonito Feather in White . I catch um on the quick crank/stop and go . We have them here on the East Coast too . When you bleed and ice them they are quite tasty .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Picture of Bass_Head
posted Hide Post
the sumo banana jigs at the shop (im sure they are online too) in the 3/4 oz. iv never had so much fun....no joke.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Got to agree with Crown V., if its got a hook on it they will hit it. I just wish they grew to weigh 40+ pounds. Now that would be a fishery. 40 pounds of super charged muscle ripping your new Accurate into a pile of shreaded scrap aluminum.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Tady C in blue/white.....I've caught a thousand bonita and barracuda on this lure.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I have always had good luck with the chrome crock. I just used it earlier this week and nailed my limit plus releasing 12 macks. All this in about 20 minutes. They love the shiny metal! Hope this helps.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I last posted on this chain a year and a half ago! Hey MrTuna--did you ever get any bonito?

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago we'd hammer the bonito in San Diego bay using a rig made from a small rubber ball about the size of a tennis ball with a piece of brass rod pushed clear through it and bent into "Eyes" then you'd take about 18-24 inches of line and tie a cheap Japanese Bonito feather on the leader (Silver lead 1/2 oz head with red glass eyes and white/red or green feathers).

You'd tie this onto a jig stick and toss it out as far as you could and then rip it back with sweeps of the rod like a popper, the ball would make a slurp/whooshing sound like fish busting bait on the surface.
This would attract the schools of Bonito and you'd get bit a lot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JanZ,

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post