Find
Notify
Tools

newby here
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
Hi All,
Just stating to get into fishing for reel <g>. Would like to set up 3 rigs 10-20 a 25-40 and how big do I have to go to get on some of those tuna trips? So far I have a Shimano Turium 30 and an Avet SX6/4 2 speed. And 1 good 15-25lb. 7' Melton rod, that I think a Turium 16 or my little Avet would work well on.
Although the Avet has #50 with a 25 topshot I thought I could maybe add 10-20 yrd. of 10-15 to do light perch stuff?

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Welcome. There are a lot of great guys and gals here that know there stuff and are ready and willing to share what they have learned over the years. Where are you from?

What do you mean how big do you have to go for the tuna trips? As far as tackle, 30-40lb with 50lb spectra backing for the Schoolies (40-50lb) and 50 wides for bigger fish (80lb +) and the cows (200+lbs). Cost varies from boat to boat. Some popular choices are the Red Rooster III, American Angler, and the Excel. A five day trip usually goes out to the Islands and catches Yellowtail, schoolie Tuna, and some bottom fish. To get to cow town deep into the Baja Peninsula, atleast a 10 or 14 day trip is needed. These trips catch BIG tuna, Wahoo, Yellowtail, Marlin, and bottom fish. These trips usually occur in the fall and winter months especially November and December.

I don't really see the point of adding a 10-15lb leader unless your making bait. Even then only if they are being leader shy.

If I have read your post correctly you currently own a Shimano Torium 30, an Avet SX6/4 2 speed, and a 7' 15-25lb class Melton rod. You want 3 setups, a 10-20lb and 25-40lb, but what is the third one?

It is too difficult to advise you without knowing where you fish, how you fish (bait vs lures) and for what species. However you should know that almost every SoCal angler agrees that the best rods are Cal Star and Seeker, and the best reels are Avet and Accurate. Newell has a dedicated following among jig fisherman for their casting ability. While Shimano makes good reels, I would recommend you buy an Avet instead of Shimano for your Melton rod, unless you already own a suitable reel for that rod.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Trapt in Arizona,

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Moved here to Anaheim, Ca. from Texas. % yrs ago.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
How is living in Anaheim treating you?

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
mnrd55,

As Trapt said a little more info on type of trips you plan on doing will help with recommendations on gear. There is a huge variety of trips from 1 day (over night) up to 16 days or longer for tuna. Being new to this you should start off on over night trips, if looking tuna, out of San Diego during the summer. For that kind of trip I’ll bring a 20lb, 30lb and 40 or 50lb setup. I mostly fish the 30lb but sometime need to step down to 20lb and I may never use the 50lb. Some may say 50lb is overkill for this type of trip but every year while fishing for Albacore (20-30lb range) the boats will find Bluefin and people don’t have the right gear. Hehe not me. Also a trolling rig with 80lb will be needed but at first either barrow one, rent one at the landings or use the boats set up (with most boats that is not a problem).

As you can see I don’t list types of gear (I have many) because of different things like price, type of fishing and such.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
quote:
and how big do I have to go to get on some of those tuna trips?

If you are talking "cows" I'd recomend using a 50, I really like how my SDS's work. A 30 will do it but why risk loosing a fish. For "smaller fish" a 30 will work. You can "get by" on larger school size fish and fish up to around 125lbs with a JX/LX (they are amazingly strong) but, again, why risk loosing a big fish by being spooled. On the RRIII the boat gear is well used but in good shape.

If you are talking school tuna or albacore use the SX, or better yet, get an MX.

I'm glad to hear you escaped Texas but it's too bad you had to move to the greater LA area

Here's a picture of 2/5ths of my a SDS caught cows. Top and bottom are the same fish. FYI, I'm a midget so the fish aren't as big as they look, the middle fish is a bit over 255lbs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Keta,

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trapt in Arizona:
How is living in Anaheim treating you?

Why it's the happiest place on earth!
Mickey lives here!

Captain
posted Hide Post
Her was/is my plan The Avet is a little reel ( 16 ozs.) Although really well built.
I though to use it with the Melton rod for small/medium fish it has JB #50 with #25 izor topshot. If all we are catching is perch/bonito and small reds I can splice in a lighter leader and fish.
If we run into 20-40# fish I just use a 20-40 rod. with the same reel.
The Torium 30 I'm hearing will take more/bigger line than the avet in the (neighborhood of 300yrd) #65 JB Right? and then I could add 50-100 of #40 mono topshot.
This I would leave on a 40-50lb. stick. Although I hear the drag on the torium won't really be up to the task.
The above scenarios should cover from 5-60/80# fish right? Although line capacity might be an issue in the 60/80# range.
When I go out on a trip that scores 100-300# fish I would then figure out my next step.
As far as trolling,jigging or whatever I throw my line in the water and hope something bites. <G>
MMM

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
When I was shopping around for a 30lb outfit, I was told by someone at Seaforth Tackle that they had caught fish up to 60 or 80lbs (can't remember which) on his Torium 30. Having said that I think realistically 60-70lbs is pushing the Torium 30 to the maximum. If you want to go bigger than that, start looking for a bigger set up.

As far as putting a leader on to your topshot, I would only do that if the fish are leader shy. Every connection is a place for failure.

If you plan on jig fishing, be careful with your rod choice, I was warned that throwing heavy jigs (read Tady 45) could break the tip off of some rods designed primarily for casting bait.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Keta, those Cows are amazing! What was the fight time? What rig is that?

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
mnrd55, if you are serious about Tuna, you also need to pick up a rod belt. A simple one will work for schoolies (40-50lb), but for anything much bigger, you will need a full size that wraps around your backside and thighs. Also, when going on longer trips it is best to be self reliant as in bringing spare rigs, line, topshots, leaders, terminal tackle, sunscreen, proper gear for ocean conditions, hat, small medical kit ect. More comporehensive lists can be found on charter boat sites.

A rig for cows is generally a 50 wide spooled with atleast 400 yards of 130lb Spectra backing with about 100 yards of quality 100-130lb mono topshot. This reel is mounted to a 6-6'6" rod with full roller guides. Expect to pay about $300-$500 for the rod and $500-$1,000 for the reel. Choice baits are usually big sardines or small mackeral casted in a chum slick. However some cows have been caught on pufferfish and flying fish.

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as trolling,jigging or whatever I throw my line in the water and hope something bites.

mnrd

Hunting for tuna offshore is mostly done by going to the tuna grounds and trolling looking for fish. The boat makes up a trolling rotation list (only 4-5 can troll at a time) and when your turn comes up everyone is expected to take their turn on their trolling team. Most likely the boat will make several stops in a day and trolling in-between stops to locate fish. That’s why you will need a trolling rig for tuna.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Trapt,
The setup in these pictures is one of my Avet SDS's on a Seeker G6463XXXH rod. I bought it from Mark in October '05, the day before the epic '05 Charkbait 10 day trip. 2 cows on tat trip and 3 more on a Jan,06 15 day trip to Hurricane Bank. Before we left the HB we were cutting loose fish in the 150-180 range.

A 50N is more than enough reel for cows but I do have a Penn 50SW on a Seeker G6463XXXXH set up for kite fishing.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is awsome you had such success. I cannot wait for the day when I start shopping for my Cow stick... Is $1500 an average price for a cow stick?

What kind of structure is the Hurricane Bank exactly?

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
The rig in the picture cost me less than $900, including 130 Izor hollow on the reel. Like everything, the prices have gone up.

I found these prices at a online tackle dealer whose name I won't mention.

Avet SDS $550
Seeker 6463XXXH $370
500yds Izor 130 Hollow $20

Total $940

HB is the top of a mountan with deep water all around it. We fished on anchor all but the last few hours. Well worth going and I hope to go on a 21 day trip in the future.