CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Any Spool Pin Problems with Makaira Reels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Spool Pin Problems with Makaira Reels
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
In researching Makaira reels, I found only one compliant about the spool pin breaking off while the braid knot was being tighten. Okuma took care of the problem.
My question is was this a one in a million kind of problem or what? I like having a spool pin, but I like to think the knot at the hook or the knot at the spool pin would always break before the spool pin.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 08 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of that issue, and frankly don't make use of any manufacturer's pin on the spool. Braid slippage is a problem to be avoided, but there are other ways to accomplish that successfully. Those other ways do not lead to high test reliance upon the pin and a single knot since we go with two wraps around the entire spool.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1292 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post