CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Newell - Not Impressed!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newell - Not Impressed!
 Login/Join

Pinhead
Picture of pthein
posted
Just bought 2 Newell S533's... the first one seized on the line winder... took it apart at the shop and found the pinion gear seized to the spool shaft and the drag spacer making lots of little brass shavings inside.... sent that one back. After a long wait got the reel back and found it to be OK. Took the second reel apart to grease the screws and found it to be making metal as well.

Long story short I am not impressed. I bought this reel for a specific application - casting surface iron on the long rod. This reel had the reputation of being the hands down winner for this application. Needless to say I am calling the shop where I bought these reels and seeing about returning them. I just dont have the time to keep playing with them and I dont want to chance a problem on the water....

Anyone else have a similiar experience? And can anyone suggest another reel that casts the surface iron on the long rod??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pthein,

Philip Hein
21 Blackfin

Posts: 2 | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
YEIKES! Not good!!! For what it's worth, I fish a lot of Newells, some new some well over a decade old. I like 'em a lot. On our recent 10 day trip a lot of guys were fishing 'em (me too, though I spent more time using my Avets). For one reason or another you got two lemons it sounds like. The odds against that are pretty darn high, not something I've encountered here and we do sell a lot of Newells. I don't know where you bought your reels, or if they were purchased from an authorized dealer, a dealer being supplied through a distributor, or some john shoveling stuff through ebay. In terms of quality of product, I'd consider the sources I've listed above in declining order of reliability... We have been much happier getting our Newells directly from the factory, not through distributors. There are times when other sources of supply are not as good for any number of reasons.

We offer a 30 day exchange policy, seven day refund. I would expect the place you purchased your reels to offer some similar sort of program, hopefully. Very likely simply exchanging the reels will bring you satisfaction...and a correctly assembled fishing reel.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1538 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I fish with Daiwa Sealine 30, and can throw those irons real far and nary a birds nest. Just purchased a Saltiga 40 and can also throw those irons real far without any birdsnest. Both are great rods. But I still love my Penns....

Buddy

ShimaNO Friends don't let friends fish with ShimaNO

Posts: 4 | Registered: 06 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I have had a problem with stripped threads in the crossbars and reel stands of several brand new Newell reels. When I tried to remove the sideplates from the frames to install HT100 drags the sideplate securing screws came out with totally flattened threads. This is caused by improper alignment of the crossbar and reel stand holes with the inner frame stainless rings when the frames are assembled.
I sent the parts back to Newell for replacement. A week or so later I received a call from Norma telling me that they would be sending the replacement parts out but they would not honor the warranty on any other Newell reels that I own if this happens again. Norma accused me of overtightening the screws causing them to strip. I have been repairing reels for numerous partyboats, charterboats and fishermen in my area for over 35 years now so I'm pretty sure I have a clue on how to tighten a screw.
I have purchased over $1200.00 in Newell reels from Chark and another $2100.00 from other vendors and I have to tell you I did not appreciate this kind of customer service from Newell. Needless to say I won't be buying anymore of their products.
At $200.00 a pop for a P series there are a lot better choices out there - Saltest, Torium, Avets to name a few.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I hear what you're saying, but I also have some positive feelings towards the fact that Norma and Newell DID replace the parts at no charge. Given several parts needing help, several reels, (if I'm reading this right), I can understand her expressing concern about overtightening. Bottom line, she covered it at no charge. She tried to limit her liability in the future for the same issue. I can understand her position. They may not have offered the words you wanted to hear, but she covered the issue. She talks to lots of folks with differing experience levels. In general, I think her concern was appropriate. If you were in her position don't you agree that she should try to do some educating as well as resolve the current issue? In all honesty, there are several other manufacturers that would not have done that! The positive is that she's a real person, she can be talked to, she's been with Carl Newell for about 25 years and she does know her stuff.

I hope my comments don't upset you, I'm just trying to focus on the positive in what could have been a much more frustrating situation. My optimism is based in part on a recent experience I had with a clients reel. The fellow had a recently purchased Newell. He took it fishing, didn't take the reel off the rod for a couple week's time. When he did take the reel off and clean up his gear he snapped the rod clamp's screws. He did NOT grease the threads when he mounted the clamp AND he tightened them far more than necessary. He left things alone after fishing to rust and lock-up. As a result, do to user error, he snapped off the screws. A little more patience, salt-X, grease, lime-away...and a little less muscle and he would not have snapped off the screws inside the frame. The client shipped us the reel, we followed up with Newell. To my great surprise they replaced the frame at NO CHARGE. Some folks may argue with my take on this one, but in my estimation a person should take responsibility for their actions. If I screw up I am responsible, and I don't blame anyone but me or expect someone else to clean up my mess...nor do I kick my dog out of frustration. If I blow up my boat's engine because I didn't check the fluids, it's my fault. If I snap a screw because I didn't grease the threads, and I left the reel without cleaning for a few weeks after a trip, it's my own darn fault if there's corrosion. Bottom line, Norma and Newell took care of the problem and tried to make sure the problem didn't repeat itself in the future! There's a lot more good there than bad in my estimation.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Mark,

There have been a lot of quality control issues at Newell as of late. I'm sure if you are doing any reel repairs at your shop you have run into the stripped screw issue on the new P series reels also. As stated these were brand new out of the box reels and the screws were stripped when removed from the reel, not from me putting them back together. We are talking about one reel stand and three cross bars from a total of six new reels. There was no user neglect involved in this issue.
Other quality control items that come to mind are hairline cracks in the graphite side plates around the bearing cups, metal milling filings left in the bearing cups on assembly at the factory, gaps in the side plate rings on the red series just to name a few.
As far as you agreeing with Norma's position on voiding my warranty, I wonder how you would feel if you brought your new car back for repairs because you tried to change a flat tire and the studs were stripped. They fixed the studs on one wheel but voided the warranty on the rest. I don't think you would care for that, would you?

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Don't get my reply to your stated experience wrong. I did not suggest misuse on your part, but I sure did point to that with respect to the fellow who's screws froze-up. We have not come across ANY stripped screw issues on P's or S's over the past year's time, and I've checked with 2/3rds our staff here on this one today based upon your comment. We have seen minor injection mold marks on sideplates (a non functional issue associated with manufacture). We did have two-three 300 series reels with rubbing spools, issue resolved. Metal filings? Not encountered.

As far as Norma voiding a warrenty, I did not note that from your post, nor do I believe it. The reels carry a long warrenty term, and I've never heard of Newell not honoring anything, even when there has been customer error - as I stated in the example I mentioned. Back to car analagies, if I took apart the fuel injector "to inspect it's operation" on my car and then put it back together incorrectly or with too much torque, I'd be the guy who screwed up the thing and I'd be the guy liable to pay for putting it back together.

There are a lot of manufacturers of reels, so certainly buy what you're most comfortable with. I own a bunch of Newells, some recent ventage P's, S's... To my tastes, I like 'em and appreciate their value. Are there better reels with nicer cosmetics? Sure bet. But, in my opinion the Newells do what they need to do for me, and I've caught a bunch of fish on 'em. So, I'm a supporter. I also like the fact that there's one key contact person at the company, Norma. So, my bias and your bias run counter. I'm not claiming you're wrong or I'm right. We just share differing opinions and experiences at the present time.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as Norma voiding a warrenty, I did not note that from your post, nor do I believe it.

Well Mark, then I guess your calling me a liar. It's been a pleasure doing business with you.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I did not call you a liar, perhaps I misread what you said, or misinterpreted some text. If so, I'm happy to apologize for a non-planned insult. But, back to Newell and Norma, a little talking goes a long way, and I do believe Norma to be a very reasonable person. Yes, I can't believe she would unilateraly void a warrenty without reasonable cause. Yes, I do believe she would take care of any and all warranty issues. And yes, we would intervene as necessary and help grease the skids for our clients. She's human, she has good days and bad days. You probably caught her on a bad one, or there were some other issues.

If you would be so kind, please zap me back your name and city/state so I can do a little research and get things resolved with Newell. I encourage you to do this regardless of whether you chose to buy from us or not. I'd simply like to get things straight.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Stacked up-Chark did not call you a liar-but I do! I have fished Newell since he was just making parts for Jigmasters and have never-NEVERhad a problem with Newell equipment that Carl and Norma did not help me with. I am sorry that you are bitter, but sometimes we have to work with the manufacturers, instead of stepping in with animosity

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Mark,

For some reason the board won't give me access to PM you with the info. Email me and I'll be happy to supply you with the contact person at Newell for the true story. Or check the old Charkboards from January/February 2006. You can then supply Agate D with the info so he can apologize.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Thanks, just hit the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page and I'll follow-up Monday with ya. I don't do the PM thing, so don't have any profile address listed. But, email makes it to me.

One thing I have to say, there are some internet community boards where flaming is common, lots of "internet balls" and rudeness. That's been one major differentiating feature with our board's community through the years. I'm proud that we have good folks on the board who are helpful to others seeking good advice without BS. Let's remember that, and work from a constructive point of reference.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I do apologize. Truly. I guess that I was out of line, although I consider the Newell people an island in a sea of big business crap. I have had big problems with Shimano and Daiwa and wanted to defend the people that have ben one step above to me. I hope that with this line of conversation that they will satisfy you, also.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Picture of KFAC webmaster
posted Hide Post
The manipulation of the English language is truly an amazing thing. StackedUp if I were you I would take Chark up on his offer, you have nothing to loose. Chark your reasoning skills from being a teacher and a business owner are showing, atta boy! Agate D this stuff is emotional isn’t it, well done on the apology!! Well done!!

I have a feeling when everything has been laid out on the table this issue will be resolved one way or another, hopefully for the benefit of all.

Again, take Chark up on his offer, he's offering you his help in an Ambassadorial way. I would think he has some pull with these people and I truly believe that he wants to help you.

I would like an update on this scenario as the peace talk’s progress.

Bottom Fish Are Bigger!

Posts: 18 | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Mark has already been sent the information.