CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    CALSTAR E-GLASS BLANKS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CALSTAR E-GLASS BLANKS
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Does a new Calstar e-glass 196-8' blank have the same action as an old 1970's 196-8'e-glass blank? Has the glass technology changed the action for better or worse? Just wanted to try wrapping a rod and thought a 196-8 would be a good rod for fishing Anchovies with 15lb to 20lb line. I loved the 1970's 196-8 and was wondering if the 2010 blanks are as good, the same or better as the earlier versions. Brother-in-law will pick up the blank and supplies as I live in AZ. and don't have a store to pull on the blanks to see for myself. This is his present to me. He'll be coming next week. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Leon or someone at the Factory Gardena CA, (can be very frustrating. The last time I tried to contact them I could never get through however), Good luck in that. I sure don't know about the 70's rods, could be a call to Brandon Heywood at Western Outdoor News, in San Clemente, CA. would be an order. He is a sportsfishing writer and loves to try different "NEW THINGS" and he would refer you if he were not able to answer your question. I just catch fish and whatever I bring either works or "The Boat just SUCKS", IMHO !!!! (Heee Heee)!11

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
I just catch fish and whatever I bring either works or "The Boat just SUCKS", IMHO !!!! (Heee Heee)!11

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!! Thanks Crowne Victoria, your always great with a response, kinda makes my day.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Calstars versions are a bit stronger pullers than the original ones from the ealy 70's in my opinion. Seeker version will be "looser" in action. Both are very good options for what you plan. Quality of blanks from Calstar are top-notch, none better for this type of rod.

As far as contacting Calstar, Leon is busy as can be and his health is not as robust as it was years ago. He's one of the nicest guys in the business, but there's no way he can cover phones as well as production these days. They are a lean operation and are not geared to handling phone calls regarding their products, that's what dealers are for or if opportunity arrises the shows that they participate in such as the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach. There's only so much they can do, and what they do accomplish in terms of building rods and blanks is the best in the business. Communication and promotion is not their strong suit. Building great rods is what they focus on. No doubt they'd like to do more, but staffing phones and technical inquiries carries costs in terms of personnel, and reality dictates those funds are used elsewhere. Also, note their hours are limited. They run the shop 4 days a week, off Fridays during the winter months. They come in early and close down by 3PM.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1570 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
The Seeker Classic 196-8 would be very close to the original Sabre... they're wrapped using Sabres old mandrels. Calstar stiffened up their version over the years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MarkT,

Posts: 166 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
On aside note, the Fast action or (more flippy lighter tip) is really getting alot of Buzzz. (AS in seeker tips vs. Calstar ) But Will we have another 15lb flouro 2-day offshore be the go-to setup tis summer? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, Lets get a 40lb. Bluefin Boatlimit trip that has me as a passenger !!! AMEN !!!! NEW YEARS RESOLUTION !!! that and the kids get good grades in school. AMEN !!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post