CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Seeker BSC6460XH-6' AR 40-60-100
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeker BSC6460XH-6' AR 40-60-100
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
Just picked up a never used Seeker BSC6460XH-6' AR 40-60-100. I read that Seeker changed the specs to 50-60-80 at some point. I wondered if anyone knew the story behind the change. I'm planning on fishing this with an Avet HXJ Raptor loaded with TT 80lb. Super Braid. Targeting BFT & YFT. Any thoughts appreciated.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I probably should add I will be jigging/bottom fishing off the back rail of a party boat.

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Fishsticks - Are you fishing West coast, East coast or the Gulf? If you are fishing the Gulf, that set up will be more than adequate for any fish you encounter in the gulf, jigging wise, though a bit heavy to fish with all night. In the gulf, my only concern would be if you decided to chunk for YFT, the reel capacity my be a little tight. When chunking , we often have 100-200yds of line out.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 04 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
El Guapo,
I will be fishing in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Texas. Jigging is pretty much the accepted style on the boat, so I doubt we will be chunking. Your right about it being a little heavy for an all night session. I will have an LX 2 speed on a graphite rod for a back up, if I run out of steam ; ) Thanks for your input.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Good 60# trolling rod, can do up to 80 but 60 is preferred. You can do other things with the rod certainly, but it's primarily intended in the trolling mode.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1367 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Mark Perhaps I should change my order on the Avet HXJ to include 60lb.
spectra instead of 80lb.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I own an HXJ too. I first loaded 80# braid, left room for about 25' of leader. I've since switched to 60# on the braid, usually fish the reel at 50# and that spooling gave me the capacity I wanted - needed more like 400 yds than 300 on this rig for my uses.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1367 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and had the HXJ Raptor loaded with the Toro Tamer 80lb. 8 strand solid Super Braid. The line feels really good in the hand and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Next time I may go with the 60. Thanks to you and everyone in your crew for making this purchase a "reel" pleasure : )