CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Penn question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penn question
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted
I hope you guys don't mind a stupid question. The Baja websites ie. Loreto, La Paz, midriff, all say bring a penn 500 or equiv. What about the Senator 112h? Bearings instead of bushings, good frame reinforcement, and more capacity. Am I missing a glaring flaw? Seems like a great deal for $80.00!

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I'd go straight to the 4/0 113H for fishing 40# (which is where you'll be spending most of your time down there). The 112 is a beefed up Jigmaster in terms of construction, but the drags are the same as the 500. The 4/0 is probably the most useful panga reel built for the money.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chark,

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1539 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Reels equivalent in size to a Jigmaster would be reels like a Avet LX, Newell 338, Daiwa SLX50 or Saltist 50, Penn 555 GS, Shimano TLD20/40 or Torium 30, Pro Gear 540 or the new Pro Gear Oceanus. Most of these have drags far better than that of a Jigmaster or 3/0.

Posts: 164 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Fishslayer
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the 112H AKA 3/0. The 3/0 also has bushings, the same drag and 4:1 gear ratio as the 500.

Most people will notice no difference between bearings & bushings.

Either is a good choice for 30# IMO, but that is their maximum. If I was starting from scratch I'd probly go with a 545GS. Faster gears & WAY more powerful drag.

For 40# you'll definately want to move up to 4/0, 555GS, something like that.

My first string 30# reel is a 3/0 with Tib frame, Accu handle & Newell 5:1 gears. Second stringer is a 506 Jigmaster. Big Grin

Fishslayer

Posts: 63 | Registered: 19 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chark, I am already bringing a 113h full of 40-50 on a different rod. Fishslayer, I think that I will change the gears and drag washers and go with the 3/0 for 30

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post