CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    SO CONFUSED, 40LB
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SO CONFUSED, 40LB
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
I AM OVER RUN WITH MED REELS SO I NEED TO KEEP ONE. LOOKING TO HAVE A 40LB REEL FOR BAIT. WHAT I HAVE IS A PENN16VSX-2, TIAGRA 12 AND A MAK-15-2.....OR .... SHOULD I LOOK AT THE MAK-10SEA??
WHAT DO YA THINK?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 28 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
If you have a Mak 15 I'd use that but I do like a more narrow reel like the Mak 10 for jigging. That would make a double dutie bait and jigging reel.

Posts: 401 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Penn 16VSX is a great reel, but not really for 40 pound test.
For all but the highest-yardage needs, in the Penn catalogue your best choice will be the Torque TRQ25NLD2.
Narrow and light at only 21 ounces, it holds 400 yards of 65-pound braid, but if you have to get that extra 100 yards on it, the TRQ30LD2 will do it.
Even lighter is the TRQ15LD2 at 16 ounces, but 300 yards of 50-pound braid may not be enough for some uses.

Posts: 245 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
A fellow can never have too many 40# class reels. No doubt the most useful piece for extended trips among our San Diego based long range anglers...unless the target is 200+ pound tuna. Tuna, wahoo, dorado, yellowtail, all can succumb to 40# lines fished well. Move your Penn 16 and Makaira 15 to 60# use, and get that TRQ25N 2 speed. I think it's arguably the best reel in its class on the market today. Very nice 40 lb piece indeed. I want one...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1278 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post