CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Bottom Fishing Reel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom Fishing Reel
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
TGrif,
We fish Pacific halibut in 400'-600' using 24oz-48oz cannonball sinkers. Our drift can be bad at times and Spectra is the best way to keep on the bottom.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keta:
TGrif,
We fish Pacific halibut in 400'-600' using 24oz-48oz cannonball sinkers. Our drift can be bad at times and Spectra is the best way to keep on the bottom.

Couldn't agree more on Spectra/Braid being more effective in getting baits down quick. How many folks on the boat?

Our problem on "head boats" is that there are a number of folks and many using mono; so you get a different sink rate -- the anglers using braid will be on the botttom, but those using mono will drift right into their lines! OUCH!

One solution (and it's done sometimes) is a "limited load" trip with braid being recommended. With fewer anglers onboard, the cost of the trip is higher, but the fishermen who book it, are happy to the pay the extra $$.

Tightlines,

Tom

Posts: 37 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
My boat 2-3 people, my friends boats anywhere from 2-6. My friend that has the 43' charter boat fishes 10.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Since I started this thread I learned that the AVET HOO-X will be available as a narrow spool option some time in December. I believe it will be called the H00-XJ. It should be able to hold approx 250 yards of 50 pound monofilament which equates to about 750 feet which would be plenty adequate for the type of fishing I do. This option also looks viable to me. All comments encouraged and welcomed.

Posts: 33 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Let me clarify. The "Black" narrow version will be available in December. All other colors are available now!

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments, guys. After speaking with many skilled anglers I decided to give Mark the "Chark" a call and spent a fair amount of time discussing my wants and needs.

In the end I decided to go with the BAKER 4 conventional reel spolled with 50 pound clear Izorline monofilament. I am also going to play around with some of the Daichii Circle Hooks and SEAGUAR CLEAR flurocarbon leaders. I am planning to make a Tortugas run real soon and I'll try and post up some pics.

I am feeling really good about my choices and want to thank Mark and his staff for helping me make this call and the great Customer Service!