CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Where to start
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to start
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Hope this is the right place, I'm just getting into fishing and setting up my own gear. My experience is fishing out of Santa Barbara for rockfish but really want a setup that can handle that area as well as closer to home in the Newport through San Diego charters. I like the Avet reels but really just need someone to point me in the right direction and if I need multiple poles/reels and all the fun stuff.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 24 June 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Avet makes some great gear, other folks like Penn and Daiwa also have some reels that are quite capable. Similarly for Accurate and Okuma. It's nice to have choices! Of course Avet's are a personal favorite since I own several and have fished them hard for years now. For your area, for the wider range of our SoCal waters, and MXL which is comfortable handling lines from 20-30# and a JX to cover 40# hit the nail on the head. I like the two speed versions, though not essential they offer great flexibility and more cranking power when needed - especially something I'll recommend on the JX.

Do not overlook being just as critical on rods are you are on reels. The best rods are made here in the USA. Calstar and United Composites are tops in my estimation. In years past I'd have put Seeker up there, too. But, that's the past, they are a much different company now. One of the key points on rods, at least in my estimation, is to recognize that the firm making the rod builds logical steps between products/models. So, as you build your arsenal there's some logic to their different models - all made to fish specific line tests and applications. You can get job specific rods, a jig rod, popper rod, surface iron rod... but the breat and butter is a 7 footer matched to your specific line tests. While manufacturers typically list a line rating that's much wider than is realistic, there's one test at which the rod loads up best - bends under drag appropriately and helps you whoop a fish's tail. Often that's spelled out, we try to on CharkBAit's product pages for rods. But, it's often best to either drop over to one of our shops or to give us a call and we can go through the line-up.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1290 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post