CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Pacific Halibut V California Halibut
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pacific Halibut V California Halibut
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted
Not pointing fingers but I heard someone up here in Pacific Halibut country was told that an Avet MX would be a good halibut reel.

Well, up here we usually fish 500' or deeper and occasionally get the larger females, not as often as in SE Alaska but they are down there. Several of the people that I fish with are using LX's but I prefer 4/0's. I know that the MX can handle the fish but the needed line capacity is not there. A Penn 113 size reel is what we should be using due to the depth and drift, there are some days when 48oz sinkers won't keep your bait near the bottom.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I have to agree. I live in Juneau and usually catch (and release) several 100 pound or larger halibut each year. Most often I use a 4 to 1 LX with a bumped up drag filled with 80# spectra. It's been fine for fish up to 300 pounds and water 400 feet deep. The MX might do it but you'd be pushing it very, very hard. The EX4/02 is very popular too but in my view, too heavy for jigging. As for 48 oz. of lead: On my boat the rule is this: If we need more than 32 oz. of lead, we don't fish halibut. I do it for **fun**!

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
I lived in Ketchikan for 15 years and when we had to go above 16 oz we would cry but 32 oz were as heavy as we needed. Just wait until slack tide.

My main office (AMHS) was just north of the NSRAA hatchery and my Juneau shop was downtown. Do you steehead fish? If so, do you fish the streems around Hoonha?

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post