CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Newell 220-5 Problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newell 220-5 Problems
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Is it okay to soak my bearing from the left sideplate in lime away to free it up? This is my first time taking this reel apart, and I found that the bearing on the left side is attached to the spool. Can I just soak that side in something to free it up, cuz it catches a little bit when in freespool and when i turn the handle. Thanks a lot.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Pinhead
Picture of Meticulous_Matt
posted Hide Post
There is no problem with soaking the bearing in lime away. At the shop we prefer to use CLR because I find that it works a little better in breaking through rust and stuck parts. The only thing is that you should clean the bearing with with brake clean or contact cleaner or something similar before you go adding oil to the bearing when you have finished soaking it in CLR or Lime Away.

Good Luck with it if you have any questions call me at the shop.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 24 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Matt, I'll try it when I get home. So does everything that I use Limeaway on have to be cleaned before it goes back into the reel?

Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Albert...Replace the bearings, if you are having trouble with them they only get worse not better.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
as janz replied replace the bearings!
They only get worst if thier frozen now. Big Grin

Posts: 7 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of big gabe
posted Hide Post
i know the newells can really cast pretty far, but i really just don't care for them, i've heard of too many problems with them,, why bother when there's so many good reels out there...

TEAM
976-TUNA

Posts: 177 | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I dunno-every reel company has problems. I pitched a Shimano Tekota into the Alaska Ocean when both the anti-reverse and the levelwind failed on the same salmon. (We handlined the fish in-it weighed 17 lbs.) Newells like a little proactive care-but there is no reel that I would rather have when the tuna are finicky!

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of big gabe
posted Hide Post
very true every reel has it's own little problems,, look at the history of the reel mgf, ask around and make a choice, most expensive is not always the best,,EXAMPLE::look at the jig master500, probably the most used and most reliable reel ever made...

TEAM
976-TUNA

Posts: 177 | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post