CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Bigger Blues setup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bigger Blues setup
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Have a light medium & I guess a nmedium/ heavy for blues. Looking at the Makaira MK20 or 30 and rod 80-130lbs seem appropriate? Braid/ topper recommendations should I be lucky to be on one of the boats that might land 200lber +.. I have a penn fathom 2 25 &40n for the other set ups.. thoughts ? Also Considering the Penn International VISX 2 Speed

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Adam G,

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 May 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Bluefin and yellowfin seem to fight a bit differently. From what I've been on, you'll likely spend more time with the fish away from the boat rather than getting to that point when it's under for the duration of the fight. Line capacity may play a major part, certainly gear ratio comes into play. The 20 size Makaira or Penn can do you well as your next step up. If you see yourself doing longer duration trips, cow tuna type, then you can make a good case to move straight to the 50 narrow/standard or a 30 wide. On the 20, 100# braid. For the 30 and 50 go 130# braid. Max the braid out either way, run shorter leader, 25 feet or so of FL preferably. For the rod, 2 ways to go. United Composites Centaur and Viper rail-rods are tops, both around $500 or so. You can get into the game for less, some sacrifices, but Okuma's PCH series 741XXH and XXXH are good rods capable of dealing with the bluefin. Good rods, different action, strong pullers that will hold up under a longer fight from heavier fish. Both reels mentioned are excellent.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1489 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, great information. On the 100Lb braid for the mak 20 what flora lbs would you recommend?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 May 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
That's a tough one because bluefin can be so picky. If you can get bites on 80# or even 100# flouro, then fish it but often, very often, they are too line shy for heavy leader. I'd bring several leaders -- from 40# to 130# -- and tie on what the deckhands recommend.

Posts: 288 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I'm with AK, have different leaders available. I've taken 150# bluefin on 50# leader, 3:1 fish weight to line test is quite do-able. Odds increase with heavier line and drag, but the first problem is getting bit...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1489 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post