CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    question on use of Surf Explorer Rod
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question on use of Surf Explorer Rod
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
I received my 15-20 pound travel rod a couple of weeks ago and it feels exceptional! Perfect weight, perfect length, almost perfect all around for the kinds of fishing I do but I do have a question about it's intended use. I've had the opportunity to use it with both a baitcaster (with levelwind) and conventional (without levelwind) and I'm wondering if you could tell me which one (if any) it was designed to be fished with.

I only ask because with a non-levelwind conventional reel that requires I use my thumb to guide line back on the spool, the foregrip feels a bit too forward to grip while guiding the line (or maybe my arms are just too short). So with a non-levelwind reel, I find myself gripping the rod with my left hand, just in front of the reel where there is no hypalon so I'm holding the blank. Is that the intended position? I've read that it's preferable when plug fishing to get a couple of fingers on the rod blank because you feel the sensitivity of the blank better so I'm wondering if that's what the rod designer's intention.

With a baitcaster, it feels just about perfect holding the rod with my left hand, finger on the trigger, palming the reel so I have no issue with it's use this way.

Just wondering what the designers intended.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 11 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post