CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Avet MXL 5.8... next reel up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avet MXL 5.8... next reel up
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
So as the Subject states, I already have an avet mxl 5.8 that I use to go 1/2 and 3/4 day fishing trips here in San Diego. Im looking into go on longer trips (1-4 day trips) and I need to add at least 1 more reel/rod combo maybe 2 to my fishing arsenal. I was thinking maybe the shimano torium 20hga, the trinidad 16a, or the accurate fury fx400 or 500. Any help/advise would greatly be appreciated

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 August 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
If you like your Avet, I'd recommend going with a larger Avet, perhaps the LX or HX. I much prefer those to the Shimano and bottom of the line Accurate Furies.

Posts: 263 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
A good working arsenal covers a range of tests. You've got a reel that's fine for 20-30# line. Next logical step is a 40# outfit. Avet's JX is a great one for that, own two, both two speeds, one with MC. GREAT size reel for casting, like the classic Newell 332.

Okuma's Metaloid 5 gets some play, as does their 12N at 40# use. Both are available as two speed reels, pricing aggressive. The Avet's are smoother than the Metaloids, but the price is hard to beat given what they offer...as well as a 3 year warranty.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1350 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Of course you're correct Chark; 40# is the next in line and the JX is one of my favorite reels. But if he has only couple outfits it might make sense to skip a size and go with a 50# reel...

Posts: 263 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Roger that and many thanks for stepping in with good answers, as always.
GS<
MS

Posts: 1350 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post