CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Socal reels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Socal reels
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted
Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this company. They almost seem to be in the too good to be true dept. but I don't know.....

Posts: 761 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
They have off-the-shelf Chinese reels of poor quality which are 2nd rate copies of American design similar to Canyon reels in that respect. They are boasting drag capability, but it's not smooth, not precise, frankly not good. I've seen the pieces from the factory at several shows in China, never was impressed, not one of the better factories. There are some factories in China which produce some good stuff through association with (usually) Japanese firms, Maxel makes a nicer reel at their Chinese price they are a value, though once a US distributor gets involved the price is usually not so good a value compared to other factory direct to retailer marketing models, and certainly not the value that Avet, Accurate and others produce. We'll see more of this type of distributor driven firms. Bottom line, is there parts and warranty support? Or, does the "manufacturer" simply swap out a product (while they have inventory) if there's a problem? If we saw products like this as long term viable consumer items we'd be engaged either directly with the factory or through their US "distributor" but I honestly don't see any long term committment, just a short term attempt at marketing a product and pretending to be a real company...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1296 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mark. Just wondered when I saw the ad-I guess you can't always trust the mags

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
It was the comment "locally-owned" that got me thinking.......

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chark. Bought a 2 speed So Cal Reel at the Fred Hall Show in March 2016. Used it on a the blue fin in the summer off of the south end of San Clemente Island. Hooked an 80 pounder, under load could not shift into low gear. Sent reel back for supposed repair, after waiting 2 months, called Capt Robb to check on reel. Was told by Robb he was having someone else fix the reels, "will check into it". Received a text that it was fixed. He shipped me back my reel, not in the container that I shipped it to him in. I checked the reel, by putting it under a load and it would not shift. NOTHING WAS DONE TO MY REEL. STILL DOES NOT WORK.
EVERYBODY BEWARE! Also, poorly designed reel seat.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 November 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post