CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Looking to round out my set ups for 6 Days to Alijos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to round out my set ups for 6 Days to Alijos
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
Give me your choices or comments on these or another choice set up for 50lb, I realize alot of this is subjective - all being class set ups!

Question:
Best 50lb set-up for Alijos Rock 6 day trip?

Choices:
Avet LX Raptor 2 speed
Penn 12 VSX 2 speed
Makaira 15 2 speed

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigman,

Posts: 153 | Registered: 24 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Hey Jigman. Why did you make the decision so hard?! I think actually on a 6-day, you're more likely to fish Cedros, Benitos, and maybe Guadalupe. Maybe a 7 or an 8-day would get you down to Alijos (?).

Anyway, you honestly can't go wrong with any of them. I would be tempted to really put the screws to the Makaira and see what she can do...I think it's a little lighter weight too. We already know what the Avet can do and of course the new 12 is an updated version of a classic reel that has taken many fish over the years.

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks!

Posts: 108 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
The sportfishing "Sport" is an old one. New Gear is just a copy of a previous type of gear that worked. If they get easier to manufacture, better feel, stronger etc. It's all been done before, the thing that doesn't get better is the 'Fishing itself,( well catching rather). Mikey says they all will work, Try it he likes it, HEY, LEYS GET MIKEY!!!!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey:
Hey Jigman. Why did you make the decision so hard?! I think actually on a 6-day, you're more likely to fish Cedros, Benitos, and maybe Guadalupe. Maybe a 7 or an 8-day would get you down to Alijos (?).

Anyway, you honestly can't go wrong with any of them. I would be tempted to really put the screws to the Makaira and see what she can do...I think it's a little lighter weight too. We already know what the Avet can do and of course the new 12 is an updated version of a classic reel that has taken many fish over the years.

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks!
Charkbaits sponsored trip for 2012 is a 6 day Alijos Rock trip - does that mean were only getting a couple of days of fishing, the 2010 6 day trip went there I heard and killed'em

Posts: 153 | Registered: 24 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Big Fish
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's a full 2 days to travel down there from Sandy Eggo (appx. 480 miles south of Pt. Loma) so 6 days doesn't give you much time to fish the rocks or to search other areas if the rocks aren't cooperating. I usually do an 8-day trip which targets the rocks and allows you a couple of days of fishing the rocks and a day or 2 of fishing the islands on the way home. Many more options if the rocks aren't "on". Good luck and enjoy the trip!

Posts: 73 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post