CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Porgy Rod & Reel Set up, Fluke Rod & reel set up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Porgy Rod & Reel Set up, Fluke Rod & reel set up
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I have given up on the idea that one can buy one set up to fit all kinds of fishing. I need a set up for each fish. Most of my Porgy and Fluke fishing are done off the shores of NJ less than 20 miles out. Often I need an 8oz weight to hold bottom. Sometimes that is not even enough and I have to let alot of line out which allows me to stay on the bottom with 8 oz. What rod & reel would you recommend for Porgy's and Fluke. Two different set ups are fine. It's an investment. Thanks so much.

Posts: 33 | Registered: 07 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Braid or mono? Line test? Spin or conventional?
Rod length?

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Dragging bait or fishing Spro's ? Spinning or conventional ? I fish/work out of Pt. Pleasent NJ . I use a Kevin Bogan Fish Poison 40 lb rod and a 3/0 Senator with 40 lb braid and a 30 yd top shot of mono . My Wife fishes the same rod with a Jigmaster jr . A lot of our customers fish smaller Avets (get them from Chark)with fast to medium taper rods . Hope I'm not stepping on the Charksters toes with my rod choice . You can PM me .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Braid would be best. I can use a smaller reel.
Line test would be whatever is needed for Fluke and Porgy's. Spinning or conventional? That's a tough one. I like fishing with both. A 7 foot rod I guess. I am open to suggestions. There is so many choices out there that I'm like the guy who can't order dinner because the menu is too big! LOL!

Captain
posted Hide Post
For 30# I like the Avet JX 4.6.
For 20# the MXJ.
I would normally stay away from spinners for bottom fishing. If I were to choose one, the Shimano Saragosa (Ducking the comments to come) 10000.
I'm a Seeker fan and recommend the Black Steel.
Using braid will help hold bottom with less weight and make it easier to feel the bite.

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ol Pedro. I fish on the Big Jamaica and Jamaicai ii out of Briel/Point Pleasant. I believe both boats are owned by the Bogans. Nice people and great party boats. I have seen their T-Shirts for the Fish Poison rods although I have never seen the rods.

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thank you too Froggywaldo. Yes I agree spinners for bottom fishing are far from optimal. I too have been looking at the Shimano Sargosa. Which Seeker Black Steel rod would you recommend for Porgies (scup) and sea bass?

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
- Thanks for the info about the boat. Always interested to hear about good local boats and fishing trips. Great to learn about the boats and opportunities, as well as the fishing, from different waters.

For what you are doing, line test, style of fishing and most likely catches I'm thinking MXJ or MXl, too. Another very nice reel to consider is Penn's Fathom 25. Different reel, star verses lever, cast verses machined aluminum construction, but a darn fishable and powerful reel. Worth looking at both reels. If you are trying to keep the price at about $200, both hit that mark.

Going up the ladder, a little Avet 2 speed sure is nice and Daiwa has an option there that's not bad to consider. But, that little MXL or MXJ 2 speed is a fun reel to fish, and very versatile in what it can do.

On the spinner side, I have a couple of Penn's Conquer reels, like 'em a lot, and can recommend looking them over if that's in the right ballpark for you. Very good drag, and you can easily service the piece - couple turns of a screwdriver and you're into the gears. ~ $200 and worth it long term.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1554 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Bebop , I'm just across the bridge on the Gambler . Capt. Bob and Mike are Howard's Cousins . I rode With Howard to the Fix the Magnuson Stevens protest in DC both times .The Charkster has the Goods when it comes to Avets/Penns .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post