CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    True 40 lb. set up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True 40 lb. set up
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
Thank you in advance for any and all help. I have found your forum/website to be very easy to understand and informative as most sites talk in the jargon and hard to understand if this is new to you. Having said that, I am looking for a true 40 lb. reel that is 2 speed, will work for local and south, local is so cal and south, well u know, for bait and yoyo application. I DO NOT want any binding issues (I have no Avets yet). Reading this site it looks like a lx or mx would work? I like narrow style reels....but the lx might not be that wide? The Raptor being the best for non-binding issues? Thoughts please and again, thank you....Robert

When I say true 40 I mean using the reel within specs...or close to themWink

Posts: 13 | Registered: 25 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Sorry I meant JX or LX, not MX

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
If you like a narrow reel, a JX would be great for that. A little larger reel would be a Baja Special.

Posts: 268 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel
posted Hide Post
Good morning SJR. With 15#'s of drag max at strike a standard Avet jX or lX would fish 40# line fine. If you have a few more bucks I'd do the Avet JX raptor. It gets about 28#'s of drag at strike and that lets you fish 40, 50 60 and up to 80# lines. JX will be easier to cast and retrieve lures than a LX due to the width of the LX. Not that you couldn't use the LX or LX raptor but the JX is just easier to use for those applications.

Hope the info helps,
Behdad

Posts: 169 | Registered: 15 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
To expand on the previous thread about 60-pound reels, the Penn Torque-series models that would work perfectly as 40-pound reels are the Torque TRQ25NLD2 and TRQ30LD2, depending on how much line you want your reel to hold.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve Carson,

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
I have a JX 6/3 and use it only for 40lb topshots. I have used this reel for 5-6 seasons and have never had to replace the pinion bearing due to binding issues/over fishing the reel. Most if not all of the binding issues with Avet is due to people fishing more drag than the reel was designed for. In two speed reels that I use for yoyo iron I like the high gear over 5:1 in speed as this makes cranking the iron all day long a bit less work. If money was not a object, for me it was, I'd go with a Torque. I have a color scheme with my gear where all of my reels are black, I should of jumped on a Torque or three before they discontinued the black reels.

Posts: 404 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, the Torque series reels are available in both "2-speed lever-drag", and also "single-speed star-drag".
Charkbait recently had a closeout price for the discontinued "black" color of the star-drag models [star-drag models now gold in color].
The "2-speed lever-drag" models are also gold as a "stock" color.
Both star-drag and 2-speed lever drag models come in the "25N" and "30" sizes, the only difference being the width.
The 2-speed lever drag models in this size have a max drag at "Sunset" of 33 pounds.
The Torques have the least "sideload" [cranking resistance] of any reel in their size class.
Assuming you will use 50-pound superbraid as backing with a short topshot, the 25N size holds 450/50 and the 30 size holds 600/50.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Thank u again for the input and perspective. Robert

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I'll add to what Steve said, the Torques are the lightest reels in their class - but they do not feel "tinny" at all. Very robust pieces.

And, for the JX, I own two of those and will absolutely agree with Mark's (SoCal's) thoughts about their use and appropriate line class...unless one goes for the Raptor version.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1367 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Thank u mark and the group!