CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    60# to 80# Reel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

60# to 80# Reel
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Your help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to get a new reel to go out and fish for tuna on 3/4 day up to 2 day trips. I am looking at the Okuma Andros A 16, Okuma Makaira 10, Shimano Talica 12 and I especially like the Accurate Boss BX2-500N but I can't seem to find out how much drag this reel has. Let me know what you folks think.

Thank you very much for your suggestions or comments.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 05 March 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Just got off the Vagabond, we went 1 for 3 on the giants, the 1 we got was 143.
Also listened to the radio chatter as the other captains lamented their passengers getting annihilated while using inadequate tackle.
The line capacity-class reels you listed, along with the equivalent Penn Torque TRQ30LD2 are great reels, but simply not adequate for the once in a lifetime grade of fish out there.
Skipper Mike Lackey [and the other captains I heard on the radio] want AT MINIMUM a Penn 16VSX or equivalent reel holding at least 600 yards of braid, with an 80-pound topshot, and would really like it better if you had a 100-pound topshot on a 20/30 size reel.
BTW, the one fish we landed was on 100-pound tackle.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
What Steve is saying is absolutely correct. Some of the boats are intentionally staying away from the big guys, especially if they're suspect of the talent pool and gear aboard. It's a most unnusual opportunity, to catch 15 day type fish on a 1 day trip. Nothing smaller than a Fathom 40N, Avet HX, Accurate 600 or Makaira 15. Preference is for something larger, Penn 16 to 30 size, Makaira 16-20-30, HX Raptor or HXW Raptor or 30 from Avet. Need the bigger gear in order to stand a chance.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1367 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
That has been my experience with a good size tuna bite too
I have been out of the loop for a few years and have noticed great changes in the way things are headed in respect to reels and lines
I want to change from my old gear- International TW 50 and Ande 80 mono I think I want a quality reel and line setup that is not as bulky and heavy as the old one, prolly want 500 yards of 100 braid and a couple of hundred yards of 80 mono on top, preferably in an open top reel
The Makaira has me interested, what size would I need and are there better options available?

Posts: 5 | Registered: 27 October 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
The Penn 16VSX holds 700/80 pound braid with an ultra-short topshot.
Decrease the braid yardage and increase the topshot yardage as you see fit.
This reel fishes 50-100 pound topshots very well, and its sweet spot is right at 80-pound, but its versatility allows you to use it for everything from trolling for striped marlin at Baja's East Cape, to cranking up monster 300-pound halibut in Alaska, in addition to heavy live-bait duties aboard SD boats.
Heck, if we ever get albacore back [what are those?], it will make a perfect albacore troller too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve Carson,

Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the reply Steve
I am a bit confused by the stats on the Penn website, it shows a 16 having greater line capacity than their 30 Confused
I am not ready to step down that far in size as 400 to 600 pound blues are not unheard of here and this will be the big gun on the boat for such an eventuality.
The open top is not a deal breaker, from reading your replies I take it you are a Penn man, as have I been for the last few decades, but I get the feeling that they may have not kept up with the latest advances when it comes to drag power, please correct me if I am wrong Smiler

Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
True that the 30VSX is only a little larger in line capacity than the 16VSX.
If you are catching [even occasionally] 400-600 pound blues, the truth of the matter is that you need to stay at minimum with a 50 size reel.
It can certainly be done with a 30-size, but the odds begin to go strongly against you.
Heat dissipation, cranking power, and more are part of the equation, not just line capacity.
Regarding "drag power", its easy to get a high top-end number at the expense of your fine gradients of adjustability within the actual range you will use.
The Penn system [gear train/AR/frame] can accommodate much higher numbers than those that are published, but it would be at the expense of the operating range.
That is one reason why Penn makes both the 16VS and the 16VSX.
The 16VS is specifically optimized for lines in the 16-40 pound class [including a higher gear ratio], and the 16VSX is optimized for lines in the 40-100 pound class [including lower gear ratios]

Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate that makes a lot of sense