CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    25-30lb set up for 1 1/2 day trips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-30lb set up for 1 1/2 day trips
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Looking for opinions on best combination for 1 1/2 day trips fishing for albacore/YFT/BFT set up for casting bait.

Rod
Reel
Spectra (yes or no) top shot (length of)

Favorite SD boat for 1 1/2 day trips. Feedback from trips last summer on the Sea Adventure 80

Posts: 6 | Registered: 28 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
low end CS800M Newell 332 straight 25-30 mono...short floro to mono leader...

high end CS6485-L AVET MXJ 2-spd (not needed but it's high-end brah) 50 spec to 25-30 mono/floro top-shot...

I like Seaforth (easy parking, etc)...Endeavor, Legend

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OG-wan,

Posts: 35 | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
ROYAL POLARIS,, any fishing pole can catch a fish on that boat.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
if R/P Eddie or Aaron are with the "bow boys" up there...rods in hand...fish kill 4 sure...

Posts: 35 | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
the new Calstar BTG 870 and 670 look AWESOME for the money. Find a custom builder and equip them with Newell 229 and 338 for 20 and 30. This is the best setup for your dollar.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
R/P doesnt run many 1.5 trips. Couple a year according to the schedule. Anybody use Accurate BX2-400 for 25 or 30 lb line?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 28 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
My favorite 25# albie stick is the Seeker Black Steel G970. It's an optimized live bait stick... light tip and plenty of back. It's been my goto albie stick for the past 10 years. There's a Super Seeker version too. I use a Pro Gear Albacore Special 280 with it. If you want a little 2-speed reel look at an Avet MXJ 6/3 (or an SX Raptor). Overkill for 25# but trick is as trick does. Of course a BX2-400N or 400 would be nice too!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MarkT,

Posts: 166 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I am committed in my belief, especially on day trips and longer, to buying the best equipment you can afford. I have seen many reels, including supposedly "bullet-proof" reels, destroyed by big fish. On a day trip about five years ago we were extremely fortunate to run into a school of BFT where well over 80 were brought to deck, a rarity indeed.

It seems that most Penn and like quality reels will work. Find one in your price and comfort range and go with it. maybe a Saltist 30 might fill your bill on both accounts.

Good Fishin'.

TT

Posts: 57 | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Hey, I want a Pro Gear Albacore 280. Anyway, I second the Saltist 30. You will be happy with that. Calstar 870 or Seeker 970 too.

Posts: 153 | Registered: 24 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
A SEEKER SC870-7' and a Jigmaster is how many of us started out....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Agate D,

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Penn 500 if money is an issue. I like my Saltiga 40, but I've done just as well with a Penn Special Senator 4/0 trolling, casting, and live bait.

Posts: 73 | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
accurate- why not blow 800$ ?

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Agate D, Excellent advice! During the BFT bite I wrote of, the captain told me he wished I were using a Jigmaster instead of a competitor's conventional reel.

There's a lot of dance in a Jigmaster. However, I don't know how the Chinese version holds up. I do love my USA Jigmaster!

Good Fishin',

Tom

Posts: 57 | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post