Find
Notify
Tools

Need some trip info
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Captain
posted
I am thinking about doing a trip to the Seattle, Washington area in March or May. I was wondering what the party boats were fishing for at that time, and how much it costs. Any boat reccomendations? What kind of gear do I need? Any tips for an Oregan first timer?

Thanx

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Trapt in Arizona,

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
That time of the year you would probably be better off steelhead fishing. Blackmouth (chinook) might be around too.

If you were to stop at the Oregon coast in May you could try for Pacific Halibut out of Newport, the CR or Depoe Bay.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Where do you fish for Steelhead and Blackmouth at that time of year? On the ocean on a partyboat or in the rivers with a guide? I would much rather go on a party boat (read: cheaper) as I am hoping to take my kid cousin out since his dad lives in Japan as part of the Navy. I have my 20LB Calcutta/Seeker Inshore Series II and my 30lb Accurate Boss Magnum 870/ Calstar 700M setups. Are these good choices for steelhead and/or Black mouth, or would I be better off with something else? What techniques are used? Flylining livies, trolling, casting lures?

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Steelhead in the creeks and rivers, lots of guides.
Blackmouth in Puget Sound and I don't know about guides as I live 20 miles north of the Cal/Or border and don't fish the Puget Sound area.

Go to ifish.net and register if you want more information about fishing the NW. BTW, it may or may not help if you let them know who told you about IFISH as I have told several of the moderators where their heads were inserted and they won't let me play there any more. It's still a good place though.

Steelhead fishing is done several ways, from drifting bait (8-1/2' to 9-1/2' rods) to tossing spinners (8'-8-1/2' rods) to pulling plugs (7'-8' rods). Your best bet is to book a guide or there is a chance to connect with an IFISH member.

Blackmouth is mostly trolling, a 25lb or 30lb outfit would work but I prefer using 8-1/2' rods in the 15lb-25lb range.

Do you plan on driving and if so will you pass through Klamath Falls, OR? If you do I could probably loan you two of my older rods but you'll have to come up with reels, these are good but well used graphite 8'-8-1/2' casting rods and an Ambassador 5600/5601 would be a good choice for a "low end" reel.

If you have a 6'-7' 50lb rig bring it up in case halibut season is open.

Too bad you weren't headed to Oregon or SE Alaska (my home for 15 years), I could help you out better. Hoggem' is getting ready to go to Cabo but he would know more about fishing the Puget Sound area.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a really generous offer, but I will be flying out. Looks like my equipment will work out, if not I will probably use the guide's stuff. I have always wanted to fish salmon and halibut. Hope I can come up with the money.

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Most of the guides have good gear.

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, that's a really generous offer

Not really, I tend to gather guns and fishing gear and in the past others have loaned me things. The rods I would have loaned you are older but still very usable.

Go to Ifish and register then go the Salty Dog section and tell them Keta sent you and ask away. There are "open seats" available at times but you can connect with people that live in the Puget Sound area and get good "local" information. Most on the Salty Dog board are good people.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Do I sign up for the club membership to get to the forum?

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Just register here IFISH

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanx for everything Keta. Just Registered and am awaiting approval.

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
I hope you can connect with someone, using me as a semi reference should help.

Crew
posted Hide Post
Lee(Keta) is right on.

Hi Lee Big Grin

Posts: 6 | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of HOGGEM'IN
posted Hide Post
Trapt in Arizona what moniquer did you sign up on on ifish? as I am on there too.

Posts: 69 | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
TnA,
Don't listen to Hanapa'a and Hoggem' they are both derilicts, kind of like me, and will lead you down the wrong path....well at least Hoggem will, Hanapa'a has a "real job".

Not really, they are both good fishermen and fun to fish with.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn't respond to this. I cannot remember my screen name for ifish. I never really got into that board. I never wound up going on that trip. My cousin moved to Scottsdale, Arizona so his step dad could follow his "proffesional gambling" career. When I heard this, I was like WTF?! Arizona sucks big time. Seattle must be wayyyyyy better.