CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Oregon & Washington Reports    Last dance for Albacore TUNA????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last dance for Albacore TUNA????
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of HOGGEM'IN
posted
I will be fishing out of Tillimook bay for Albacore Saturday Oct. 14th. Looking to head out to 46.02 X 124.55 to start unless we hear other reports. I will be fishing on sportfishing Vessel San Anita will make a full report when we return.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HOGGEM'IN,

Posts: 69 | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of HOGGEM'IN
posted Hide Post
Well it was our last dance but it was Tuna fishing. we didn't have accesss to live bait wich is the Problem here in Northern Oregon. We managed 4 fish trolling 2 fish traps and a various assortment trying to find something they were hungry for. we caught 2 on fishtraps on the troll and 2 on the P-Line green head ripper in Zucchini color. Our friend Pilar who left out of a northern Port had jigged up some live bait the night before had a great bite starting at 2:30pm and called us in so we headed 8 miles to his location. Just as we got there we started overheating,(shit) we check it out and we lost a drive belt on the Diesel. no biggie my buddy had got a spare, well they gave him the wrong one he asked for a cross over # and it didn't work. Ok well it too big no big deal we will cut it down and stich it up with bailing wire. It worked but when there was any throttle given it would not hold up. Did I tell U we were 60 miles from port? so we hail the coast guard and talk to them and they do there thing and no other vessels were able to help us and they called asking if the was imidiant danger. No there is not, ok we will have a 47' motor life boat out to U in about 3 hours. Pilar demands that he will not leave a fellow Salty Dog behind. He could no do a 60 mile tow and have enough fuel for him to get back. Also Pilar runs on gas and we were diesel powered, so no fuel transfer. To make matters worse we were north of our departure Port and not in Tillamook bays duresdiction. our tow was commin from Cape Dissapointment. so Pilar trolles around us as we are headed towards the Cape after about a hour the Coast guard calles us and says we are about 2 hours away so Pilar says he will start a tow towars the Coasties and whe we meet up they can take over that will speed up things a little there is a strong ebb at the cape at midnight. so we head north east and finally meet up with our new towerrs. we get to the doch at midnight and the coast Guard doese there thoural inspection and there are no voilations and they take off. Now we are tied up in Illawaco wash. and our truck is 50 miles south of us so we eat fresh Sushi and head to the bunks in the 2 boats finally. Yes we could have been more prepaired by checking the belts but who figgured.

I know this was long but it will be a long winter up hear with no Tuna fishing left. Mother Nature will rain on our parade for sure but at least we had 2 weekend of TUNA fishing in October.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HOGGEM'IN,

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
quote:
drive pully

Don't you mean drve belt?

Bummer.
How many fish did Pilar's boat get?
Was the Maniki in the area?

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of HOGGEM'IN
posted Hide Post
Lee I didn't hear Tom on the radio. Pilar ended up with 21 for the day.