The CharkBoards!
Hollow core spectra to mono

This topic can be found at:
http://charkbait.evecommunity.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5281010491/m/124002584001

21 May 2011, 04:01 AM
Jerseyboy101
Hollow core spectra to mono
What are the general guide line for size for inserting mono into hollow core spectra?
21 May 2011, 09:52 PM
crowne victoria
Well, in theory, the tightest fit will be better than a loose one. So, you should also consider line test lb. strength as well. For 80lb. hollow (which is the friendly opening size) , I would put no less than 30lb. inside it. I would insert 60lb inside it .You could put 50 mono into 100 spectra, or 80lb in it. you could put 100 mono into 135 or 200 spectra, or put 150 into 200 spectra. You have alot of ranges and the best would be to put an over strength of spectra on that reel. The maximum drag that a reel could ever handle and multiply that time 3 or 4, that would be the highest spectra needed. Or if you will use that reel with 40 mono max, then 65 spectra minimum or 80lb spectra max.It also depends on how difficult you want you topshot making to be. Hollow 65 is better as in a tight fit, but 65hollow is really not as friendly, but it can be done, better if fresh line and not too stretched , or having been pulled on and the weaves are tightened thus making it harder to open up to insert topshot. Nail knot, and glue as the Gary teraoka method. Always you should have a heavier spectra than a topshot (Mono / flouro). The spectra should be stronger than your topshot if you needed to break off. You don't want your spectra to break ever if possible, the mono should break 1st.

sweet charity
24 May 2011, 06:52 AM
Jerseyboy101
Thanks Cap.--Should be what I need.
24 May 2011, 06:04 PM
OG-wan
Big Grinso I am severely "challanged" when it comes to knots, splices, etc...so #40 mono/floro into lets say JB #100 hollow with an overhand knot be adequate???
24 May 2011, 07:10 PM
crowne victoria
If that was the only reel that you had, or all your reels have 100lb hollow spectra, then "With an overhand knot" would probably work just fine if you wanted to use a 40lb. topshot. It's preety unbalanced, but it should work out alright. Make sure by tying the overhand knot, it shouldn't slip that way. You really should use 65, or 80 hollow for 40 mono if you could , but don't waste all that 100 lb. spectra until you try it 1st. I think that would be worth it. To go for it. Get some 80 lb hollow and splice a piece 50ft. long into the 100 spectra and put a loop on the end of the 80lb. hollow. Then attach using a cats paw loop 2 loop or just splice in a 65 hollow pre made topshot with 40 mono . This way you could use a nail knot for a knotless connection also. It's called stepping down splicing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crowne victoria,

sweet charity
24 May 2011, 07:20 PM
OG-wan
thanks...I tried #80 JB blue and could not get it to go in easily...very frusrating for me...in fact I thought it may be solid sent by mistake but Jerry B checked it and said it was hollow...so it was me having difficulty...Jimmy L from Savon got it (40) to go in no prob but he is a guru...I am just "challanged"...

domo arigato

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OG-wan,
27 May 2011, 08:29 AM
Chark
The colored lines are harder to work with than the uncolored natural products (white). So, if you are trying to stick the leader inside the Spectra that's a consideration. It can be done, but you'll have to work at it a bit more and take more time opening up the line.

Great Stuff!
Mark
27 May 2011, 10:53 AM
OG-wan
thanks Mark and guys...

the guy from Hawaii Cool
29 May 2011, 05:30 PM
crowne victoria
The DE-Challenged way of converting a "challenged splicer" would be to get some 16 weave spectra (Not colored) on the end of the spectra, and get a good length that would be 50 yards or so, the 16 weave is much easier to work with, but very expensive , just worth having it in the areas that you need it for, not the whole reel. Use a dang needle also.

sweet charity