Find
Notify
Tools

Teach me
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
Hi ALL,
I am preparing for tuna 24 hours trip (my 1st)and the requirement for using Bait is having 100 yards of leader and jigging at the bow will be 100feet leader. My question:

I have seen YouTube anglers use short FluoroCarbon leader after the 100yard mono with swivel in between. I am using an Avet Pro30/2 so capacity is not a problem, would any of you use 100 yard FlouroCarbon straight to Hook (ToroTamerHollow at the back)or you would risk another connection with the swivel?

Other suggestion if you have, i am all Ears!!! All I want is my 1st Tuna!!

Posts: 40 | Registered: 13 April 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Typically about 3 feet of Fluorocarbon leader added to your mono will be sufficient to help entice an otherwise uninterested and wary tuna to your bait or lure. Some of us will run much shorter topshots of mono, or none at all, just 12-25 feet of FL leader above the braid when fishing bait. It becomes a matter of application. If you are doing some trolling with your Pro 30, then having the mono loaded as you have it is a good thing. It provides some stretch, shock absorber on a hard strike while moving. Running 100 yds of FL, may represent a waste of money, and typically the FL will be a bit stiffer, may have more memory, may not be so suitable for the rest of what you'll be doing.

1st Tuna! All you need is a bit of time on the water, it will happen!!! And, if it does, at least out here on the LR boats, there will be those who suggest you should eat that fist fish's heart. While it may sound delicious, it's an experience you may wish to avoid... So, I'd low key that it's your first tuna until after it's been put away below deck in the fish hold. Then you can put on a big grin!

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1489 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chark:
Some of us will run much shorter topshots of mono, or none at all, just 12-25 feet of FL leader above the braid when fishing bait. It becomes a matter of application.

Thank you. Would love to run that short FL leader but not an option. Most New Jersey side boat requires having 100 yards of Mono using bait and 100ft of FL/Mono using jigs

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Your local boats have become more liberal over the past 10 years. Used to be that we would have to hide the braid with closer to 200 yds on top... They are becoming more familiar, and anglers are getting better too, with the way they handle their lines. So, I'd expect to see skippers alter their attitudes over the shorter term. But, I hear you. That short leader option really is best suited to fishing live bait anyway, and that's not typically your program in NJ, but it it here. The short leader really helps a bait swim, less drag with the thinner braid and shorter "fat" leader material.

GS<
MS

Posts: 1489 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Ya some boats are still 200 yards....if I am not wrong the one I am fishing is one of the few (if any) that’s 100 Yards Mono/FL for bait. That’s not so much I am scratching my Head though..... must have 100feet of Mono or FL for jigging is what giving me a headache. Wonder how it feels having such a long leader. Oh well, I will know come October