New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roller Guides
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I think I must be a little old school but when I was younger roller guides were pretty much for trolling. I've seen a few rods now that seem too light for any west coast trolling with roller guides and some with rollers just on the tip. Do rollers make for a good casting rod for either live bait or jigs?

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Hi Nijolo...There are generally two types of roller guides: the standard, heavy-duty for trolling and heavy bait fishing, and the light weight, graphite-framed rollers.

The lightweight rollers (see: Aftco Light Guides) are nice and you can actually cast pretty dang good with them. Of course the important thing is to make sure they are actually rolling, haha. They are graphite-framed and lightweight so you can cast them all day and they don't make the rod any stiffer. In fact, typically, only the stripper guide (the first guide on the bottom of the rod) has double feet and the rest are single-footed.

Long story short, I like them, but on a light rod, I don't see much difference between the light guides and standard ringed guides like Alps or Fuji. The cost is usually a bit more for the light rollers as well. I'll admit, they do sound pretty cool when making a cast though!

Last note: I have an Avet reel similar in color to the one you got at the Fred Hall Show last year. Call me at the shop or stop by to check it out - thanks!

- Mike

Posts: 108 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the info. I just got back from Avila today and had a fun time fishing. Ill stop by the shop this week to check out the Avet. Is it the MX or something different?

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. Glad you had a fun time fishing - hopefully the rockies bit well for you. Yeah, it's an MXL MC single speed.

Posts: 108 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post