New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eagle Claw hooks
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I keep seeing Eagle Claw hooks mentioned in the WON long range reports. Which hooks are they using? Any information appreciated to satisfy my curiosity.

Pageo

Posts: 30 | Registered: 23 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
The hooks on this page are probably the ones. They and the Mustdads are a much better value than the imports. http://charkbait.com/cs/csh3.htm

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I have looked at these hooks, and own several sizes of the 2005s. But the hooks being used for the cows are running from 10's to 18's. I don't see any of the bigger sizes for sale at Charkbait. Haven't made a real effort to find them elsewhere yet before learning more about them. Also, I am curious to know what knot is typically used with these big hooks? I'm thinking two wraps around the eye would be good....?

David Buck

Posts: 30 | Registered: 23 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I respect that you are curious, but I don't have a rocket science degree but I would guess that they are big hooks. Can Eagle claw hooks break, straighten out and fish get away ? Yeah, they can and will, but not everytime. Which ones you ask, Stay away from them if you are fishing big heavy fish. That's not bad advice honestly, they aren't that great for big fish.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
The Big Owners, Mustads and Quckrigs are better hooks in my meager estimation. Eagle Claw is loosing ground...rapidly. As for rigging larger hooks, I tend to use a chaffing spring and crimp on. some will use a San Diego knot...lots of ways to do things, some work better than others, and bigger fish will test the limits and find the weak link.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1539 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with what has been said by others. Eagle Claw would not be a hook I would want to have on my line when hunting big game.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I must agree. Eagle claw metal tends to be brittle in the large sizes.....and then break or open. I personally like Mustads-never had a problem (that wasn't fisherman caused)

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
The hook you're seeing referenced is being used on the kite rigs. A huge heavy circle called the L2045. Usually used in 18/0. Very strong, these don't bend! The boat will have them, so you don't need to worry about buying any. You'll just use whatever they rig for the kite (for a fair and minimal charge).

Posts: 20 | Registered: 29 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Picture of PSGIDAHO
posted Hide Post
Pageot:

If you fish sardines use a 5/0 Ringed Owner Gorilla with good 130# Fluorocarbon. Gorilla's are much easier to pin a sardine on to, (and much easier on the Sardine) and if you learn how to fish them, they will hook in "the corner of the mouth" just like a circle hook.

If you fish Salami Mackerel use Mustad 7691 size 9/0 to 10/0 on 200# MONO. (While fishing big baits, Yellowfin are not line shy at all.)

Remember, you are investing a lot of time and money to go on an 18 day trip. A few extra bucks on good hooks would be a wise move.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSGIDAHO:
Pageot:

If you fish sardines use a 5/0 Ringed Owner Gorilla with good 130# Fluorocarbon. Gorilla's are much easier to pin a sardine on to, (and much easier on the Sardine) and if you learn how to fish them, they will hook in "the corner of the mouth" just like a circle hook.

If you fish Salami Mackerel use Mustad 7691 size 9/0 to 10/0 on 200# MONO. (While fishing big baits, Yellowfin are not line shy at all.)

Remember, you are investing a lot of time and money to go on an 18 day trip. A few extra bucks on good hooks would be a wise move.

For sardines, if you're determined to fish a J hooks, look into the Owner Offshore hook. Way strong and not as heavy as the gorilla for your sardine to drag around.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 29 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post