CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Fall Flat rings/rigging
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fall Flat rings/rigging
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
This is not ment to be a disparaging comment, just a long running question I have.
Why are Fall Flat jigs manufacturers with split rings vrs. with welded rings on both ends (all various sources are rigged the same).

If manufactured with welded rings would it really cost more than 5-10% more?

Just re-rigged several and it more than doubles the cost.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
The idea behind the split ring is to allow an angler to quickly switch to different lure without having to re-tie their line. The angler's main line is tied to a solid ring, which has the assist hook(s) attached to it (to the solid ring). The angler then uses the lures split ring to attach to the solid ring.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 04 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I do understand rigging the Fallflat jigs as you mentioned and normally re-rig mine that way, especially with bigger fish around. That is how the "Butterfly" jigs were/are rigged.

However, all the Flatfall jigs and the knockoff Fallflat jigs (same dang jig) even the Okuma "Squishfish" come rigged with the hooks in the back attached with a split ring. If the hooks are supposed to be up front, then that is how they should come stock, not in the back of the jig.

That's pretty much the point I'm trying to make, the jigs come rigged wrong and need to be re-rigged. Rig them right to start with and it would be a moot point.

But, I actually prefer the hooks in the back, there is a reason that's why they are rigged that way in manufacture. Putting the hooks in the back help the jig Fall flatter, thus flutter more (adds water friction in the rear of the jig) and it has been said that the hooks fluttering in the back resemble a squid more. I also worry about the hooks hitting my leader when they are attached up front.

No matter what your rigging preference, the jigs must be re-rigged to use for decent size fish.

So, why aren't they rigged in a fishable manner during manufacture? Especially the larger sizes.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
The strongest connecting point is the solid ring. That's where your main line attaches and that's where the assist hooks belong. Yes, you can and we have added a single hook attached to the rear of the lure, however now you are depended upon the split ring's strength and we've seen ample cases where that opened up (even higher test after market models) where the angler lost everything - BUT STILL CAUGHT THE FISH GIVEN UPGRADED ASSIST HOOKS RIGGED ON THE SOLID RING. If you want a lure with the hook appropriately rigged at the rear but the SLASH lure while it's still available. From what I've seen all similar slow pitch jigs have the same weakness of their thru wire, the same concern about overall strength when you are completely dependent upon the thru-wires integrity.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1489 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the responses, thanks to both of you.

However, no disrespect intended, no one answered my question.

I'm not throwing stones at any manufacturer or retailer either, but both of you made my point.

Why do the jigs come rigged in a way that must be re-rigged to fish? This has nothing to do with the manufacturer, they ALL come rigged wrong.

I'm not sure why this question is so confusing. So far, all three of us agree, the jigs must be re-rigged out of the package, why?

That's all I'm asking, why are the jigs manufactured in a way that is not fishable without being re-rigged?

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
They are fishable straight out of the package, just not for big tuna. I use flat falls (sorry, fall flats) for ling cod, halibut and rockfish with no modifications and have had no problems. But when targeting big tuna, I re-rig.

Posts: 288 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Re-rigging is done when we're targeting the big bluefin, fish off our coast locally that can weigh 300 lbs or more. For schoolies, the lure rigging is fine, with the Fall Flats (Jim's Jigs) hooks and rigging superior to the shimano versions which have hooks suited for rockfish but not the bigger tuna. I'm with AK on this...as I should be, he knows his stuff and spends more time on the water than most - certainly more rail time than I right now.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1489 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Ok, I like the last two answers and I also fish the smaller jigs as is when I won't be using more than 15lbs of drag.

Thanks!

I agree, the rigging on the Fall Flat is far superior to flatfall, I've straightened one of those crappy Flatfall hooks on a yellowtail. Plus, the Charkbait glow finish absolutely slays any others! I now only buy them from Charkbait.

Still wish the large versions came rigged for larger fish with welded rings...

Captain
posted Hide Post
Usually the fish catches multiple hooks on a slow style jig. I think the rear hooks are more for snagging . I always fish four hooks on these jigs. Just make sure the split ring is suitable for your drag setting. If you fish 80 lb line a stock lure ring may not work for you. For 50 lb and less it is less of an issue.

Posts: 114 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post