CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    60lb bluefin reel recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

60lb bluefin reel recommendations?
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted
I am light in the heavier tackle because I missed the last 2 seasons and before that 40lb was max except for my trolling rig. I am only going 1-3 days. Since I moved to the desert I am not the master caster I used to be and 2 speed reels are not the easiest to fly line. I have enjoyed the Raptors with magnetic cast control but I am considering the Okumas and Penn Torque 2 speeds as well. Any suggestions for a 2 speed that will handle 80lb spectra with a 60lb topshot and to help a a guy with a jacked up back land that 100lb bluefin I have always wanted to get?

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
The Avet HX sure makes sense, and the MC feature is an option. Penn's Torque 40N is of similar size, very nicely made piece, but no cast control feature. Okuma's Andros 16 covers the 60-80# class very well. Also a good caster, also no magnetic cast control but there is a mechanical assist. The mechanical works well, but the magnetic system is nicer in my opinion. Drag smoother on the Okuma, but size a bit chunkier. It will fish heavier than the standard HX, can compete with the Raptor version.

You've missed some great bluefin fishing. The big ones are still with us it appears from last week's catches.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1350 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chark:
The Avet HX sure makes sense, and the MC feature is an option. Penn's Torque 40N is of similar size, very nicely made piece, but no cast control feature. Okuma's Andros 16 covers the 60-80# class very well. Also a good caster, also no magnetic cast control but there is a mechanical assist. The mechanical works well, but the magnetic system is nicer in my opinion. Drag smoother on the Okuma, but size a bit chunkier. It will fish heavier than the standard HX, can compete with the Raptor version.

You've missed some great bluefin fishing. The big ones are still with us it appears from last week's catches.

Thanks Mark,
Yeah missing the epic fishing was rough. Looking good so far this year so I am gearing up and will be heading down as soon as it gets more consistent. I'm coming down with the kids for Spring Break and will do a quick rockfish trip out of Channel Islands landing and try and stop by the shop to handle the gear. Cool

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post