CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Live Bait Wire Rigs for Wahoo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Live Bait Wire Rigs for Wahoo
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I need some suggestions regarding rigging a wire leader with a hook for wahoo live bait fishing. I need to know what size wire is best to use, size hooks, lenght of leader and the best way to construct it...Should it be crimped or twist...In addition, are there any good "how to" diagrams on the web to show how to construct these leaders...I am planning and preparing ahead for the fishing season...Se Ya on the Big Water!!!

Posts: 38 | Registered: 11 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
There's a range of sizes of both wire and hooks that are used. Typically 40-55# single strand wire, though some use a multi-strand wire. For the hooks, range of sizes used most commonly 1/0-4/0 which hook will depend upon bait size. Style of hook, most generally J type hooks, though circle hooks are becoming popular for this use. While we don't have any diagrams posted, we're happy to show you how to do things at our shops. One thing not to forget, WELDED RINGS for the rig. That's your connection point to your main line. Length, 12-14" is most common. Familiarizing yourself with a haywire twist tool will be necessary. We have these on our site on the same page as the rigging you'll need. While I've seen one manufacturer use crimps, this is not the best way to rig these. GO with "knot" over crimp for this.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1538 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thank You for the info.....I have some of the materials, and I will get started on the leaders...It appears from your info, I should make up various sizes with different types/sizes of hooks....Thanks again!!!!

Posts: 38 | Registered: 11 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Remember that most of the time there are also big tuna around. Use mono and get “hooed” or use wire and get bit on big tuna. It is a tradeoff. I like to have plenty of line and heavier wire. If you are in big tuna country then the bait will swim way better on wahoo gear. You might just get lucky.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 19 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post